Does High Unemployment Rate Result in a High Divorce Rate?: A Test for Japan
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to examine if the increase in the unemploymentrate has any effect on the divorce rate. We use time series data andcross section data for the whole of Japan in order to examine this assertion.We also include crime rate and average working hours as explanatory variables.We conducted cointegration analysis to avoid spurious correlation for the timeseries data. We apply OLS for the time series and cross section data. The resultssuggest a positive correlation between the unemployment rate and thedivorce rate. We also confirm that the influence of unemployment over divorceis immediate.**El objetivo de este artículo es determinar si el incremento en latasa de desempleo tiene algún efecto sobre la tasa de divorcios. Con este finse utilizan series de tiempo y datos de corte transversal para Japón. Tambiénse incluyen la tasa de crímenes y el promedio de las horas trabajadas comovariables explicativas. Adicionalmente se efectúa análisis de cointegración conel fin de evitar relaciones espúreas entre las series de tiempo. Los resultadossugieren que existe una correlación positiva entre la tasa de desempleo y la tasade divorcios. También confirmamos que existe una relación cronológica cercanaentre el desempleo y el divorcio.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its journal REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
unemployment; marital dissolution.**desempleo; divorcio.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J12 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Marriage; Marital Dissolution; Family Structure
- J65 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment Insurance; Severance Pay; Plant Closings
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Melvin Stephens, 2004.
"Job Displacement, Disability, and Divorce,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 489-522, April.
- Jensen, Peter & Smith, Nina, 1990. "Unemployment and Marital Dissolution," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 215-29, October.
- Marcus Eliason, 2012. "Lost jobs, broken marriages," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 1365-1397, October.
- Kraft, Kornelius, 2001. "Unemployment and the Separation of Married Couples," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 67-87.
- Becker, Gary S & Landes, Elisabeth M & Michael, Robert T, 1977. "An Economic Analysis of Marital Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1141-87, December.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2004-21 is not listed on IDEAS
- Betsey Stevenson & Justin Wolfers, 2007.
"Marriage and divorce: changes and their driving forces,"
Working Paper Series
2007-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Betsey Stevenson & Justin Wolfers, 2007. "Marriage and Divorce: Changes and their Driving Forces," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 27-52, Spring.
- Betsey Stevenson & Justin Wolfers, 2007. "Marriage and Divorce: Changes and their Driving Forces," NBER Working Papers 12944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stevenson, Betsey & Wolfers, Justin, 2007. "Marriage and Divorce: Changes and their Driving Forces," CEPR Discussion Papers 6144, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stevenson, Betsey & Wolfers, Justin, 2007. "Marriage and Divorce: Changes and their Driving Forces," IZA Discussion Papers 2602, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Becker, Gary S, 1974.
"A Theory of Marriage: Part II,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(2), pages S11-S26, Part II, .
- Mari Rege & Kjetil Telle & Mark Votruba, 2007. "Plant Closure and Marital Dissolution," Discussion Papers 514, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.