Snow removal auctions in Montreal: costs, informational rents, and procurement management
AbstractUsing semi-parametric and non-parametric estimation techniques, we infer cost distributions and informational rents from 457 bids for snow removal contracts offered for tender by the City of Montreal between 1990 and 1998. Bids and costs have decreased over the sample period, while rents remained relatively constant. The City deserves credit for these results, as it has succeeded in exploiting economies of scale and triggering innovations while maintaining competition. Further, it has been successful in adjusting its reserve prices to keep up with the decreasing cost of snow removal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Véronique Flambard & Pierre Lasserre & Pierre Mohnen, 2004. "Snow Removal Auctions in Montreal: Costs, Informational Rents, and Procurement Management," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-59, CIRANO.
- Flambard,Véronique & Lasserre,Pierre & Mohnen ,Pierre, 2004. "Snow Removal Auctions in Montreal: Costs, Informational Rents, and Procurement Management," Research Memorandum 023, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Véronique Flambard & Pierre Lasserre & Pierre Mohnen, 2001. "Snow Removal Auctions in Montreal: Costs, Informational Rents, and Procurement Management," Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM 20-05, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- H40 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Vuong, Quang, 1993.
"Structural econometric analysis of descending auctions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 329-341, April.
- Laffont, J.J. & Vuong, Q., 1992. "Structural Econometrics Analysis of Descending Auctions," Papers 92.272, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Laffont & Vuong, 1993. "Structural econometric analysis of descending auctions," Working Papers 162321, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Laffont & Vuong, 1993. "Structural econometric analysis of descending auctions," Working Papers 154723, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Laffont, J.J. & Vuong, Q., 1992. "Structural Econometrics Analysis of descending Auctions," Papers 9202, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Hardle, W.K. & Tsybakov, A.B., 1992.
"How sensitive are average derivatives?,"
1992-8, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hardle, W. & Tsybakov, A.B., 1992. "How Sensitive are Average Derivatives?," Papers 9208, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Hardle, W. & Tsybakov, A., 1991. "How sensitive are average derivates ?," CORE Discussion Papers 1991044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mireia Jofre-Bonet & Martin Pesendorfer, 2003.
"Estimation of a Dynamic Auction Game,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1443-1489, 09.
- Paarsch, Harry J., 1992. "Deciding between the common and private value paradigms in empirical models of auctions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 191-215.
- Bernard ELYAKIME & Jean-Jacques LAFFONT & Patrice LOISEL & Quang VUONG, 1994.
"First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions with Secret Reservation Prices,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 34, pages 115-141.
- Elyakime, Bernard & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Loisel, Patrice & Vuong, Quang, 1993. "First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions with Secret Reservation Prices," IDEI Working Papers 27, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Hugo, Marie-Anne & Richard, Jean-François, 1996.
"Game Theory Econometric Models: Application to Procurements in the Space Industry,"
IDEI Working Papers
62, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Hugo, Marie-Anne & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1997. "Game theory econometric models: application to procurements in the space industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 951-959, April.
- Harry J. PAARSCH, 1994.
"A Comparison of Estimators for Empirical Models of Auctions,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 34, pages 143-157.
- Paarsch, H.J., 1992. "A Comparison of estimators for Empirical Models of Auction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9210, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Donald, Stephen G & Paarsch, Harry J, 1993. "Piecewise Pseudo-maximum Likelihood Estimation in Empirical Models of Auctions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(1), pages 121-48, February.
- Laffont & Ossard & Vuong, 1995.
"Econometrics of first-price auctions,"
153731, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Powell, James L. & Stoker, Thomas M., 1996. "Optimal bandwidth choice for density-weighted averages," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 291-316, December.
- Donald, Stephen G. & Paarsch, Harry J., 1996. "Identification, Estimation, and Testing in Parametric Empirical Models of Auctions within the Independent Private Values Paradigm," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 517-567, August.
- Guerre, E. & Perrigne, I. & Vuong, Q., 1995. "Nonparametric Estimation of First-Price Auctions," Papers 9504, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions and Bidding," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 699-738, June.
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan, 1986. "Bidding for Contracts: A Principal-Agent Analysis," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(3), pages 326-338, Autumn.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2000. "Optimal Nonparametric Estimation of First-Price Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 525-574, May.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
- Holt, Charles A, Jr, 1979. "Uncertainty and the Bidding for Incentive Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 697-705, September.
- Véronique Flambard & Isabelle Perrigne, 2006. "Asymmetry in Procurement Auctions: Evidence from Snow Removal Contracts," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 1014-1036, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.