Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Lay-Off Distinction
AbstractThe question of whether or not there exists a meaningful economic distinction between quits and layoffs has attracted considerable attention. This paper utilizes a recent test proposed by J. S. Cramer and G. Ridder (1991) to test formally whether quits and layoffs may legitimately be aggregated into a single undifferentiated job-mover category. The paper also estimates wage equations for job stayers, quits, and layoffs, corrected for the endogeneity of job mobility. The major results are that quits and lay-off cannot legitimately be pooled and correction for sample selection would appear to be important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kidd, M.P., 1993. "Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Lay-Off Distinction," Papers 249, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Kidd, M.P., 1991. "Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Layoff Distinction," Papers 1991-09, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2009.
"On-the-job Search in Italian Labour Markets: An Empirical Analysis,"
15476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michela Ponzo, 2012. "On-the-job Search in Italian Labor Markets: An Empirical Analysis," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 213-232, July.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2010. "On-the-job search in Italian labour markets: an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 25485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cottini, Elena & Kato, Takao & Nielsen, Niels Westergaard, 2009.
"Adverse Workplace Conditions, High-Involvement Work Practices and Labor Turnover: Evidence from Danish Linked Employer-Employee Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4587, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cottini, Elena & Kato, Takao & Westergaard-Nielsen, Niels, 2011. "Adverse workplace conditions, high-involvement work practices and labor turnover: Evidence from Danish linked employer–employee data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 872-880.
- Wolter Hassink & Lourens Broersma, 2003. "Quits, layoffs, and job destruction," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1911-1914.
- Henneberger, Fred & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2002. "Beweggründe und Determinanten zwischenbetrieblicher Mobilität: Die Schweiz in einer internationalen Perspektive (Motives and determinants of job-to-job mobility : Switzerland in an international per," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 35(2), pages 205-231.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2009. "On-the-job search in italian labour markets: an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 24200, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Russell Smyth & Qingguo Zhai & Xiaoxu Li, 2009.
"Determinants of turnover intentions among Chinese off farm migrants,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 189-209, August.
- Russell Smyth & Qingguo Zhai & Xiaoxu Li, 2008. "Determinants Of Turnover Intentions Among Chinese Off Farm Migrants," Monash Economics Working Papers 03/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Sousa-Poza, Alfonso & Sousa-Poza, Andres A., 2007. "The effect of job satisfaction on labor turnover by gender: An analysis for Switzerland," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 895-913, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.