Voluntary Import Expansions and Voluntary Export Restraints in an Oligopoly Model with Capacity Constraints
AbstractIn a three-country generalization of the Kreps-Scheinkman (1983) duopoly model with price competition and capacity constraints, the author analyzes the effects of discriminatory voluntary import expansions and voluntary export restraints on equilibrium capacity and pricing decisions. Voluntary export restraints are shown to be bad for the exporting country, contradicting recent results in the literature by R. Harris (1985) and K. Krishna (1989). Voluntary import expansions are shown to decrease competition. Cases are analyzed where voluntary import expansions may actually lead to import contraction or to increases in efficiency in the home country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Krishna, K & Roy, S & Thursby, M, 1996.
"Implementaing Market Access,"
96-003, Purdue University, Krannert School of Management - Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER).
- Krishna, K & Thursby, M & Roy, S, 1996. "Implementing Market Access," Papers 96-011, Purdue University, Krannert School of Management - Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER).
- Kala Krishna & Suddhasatwa Roy & Marie Thursby, 1996. "Implementing Market Access," NBER Working Papers 5593, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Qiu, Larry D. & Spencer, Barbara J., 2002.
"Keiretsu and relationship-specific investment: implications for market-opening trade policy,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 49-79, October.
- Larry D. Qiu & Barbara J. Spencer, 2001. "Keiretsu and Relationship-Specific Investment: Implications for Market-Opening Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 8279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greaney, Theresa M., 1999. "Manipulating market shares: The indirect effects of voluntary import expansions (VIEs)," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 95-113, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.