Incentives and Efficiency in the Market for Management Services: A Study of Canadian Mutual Funds
AbstractThis paper examines the incentives offered managers of Canadian equity mutual funds when their compensation is based upon the market value of the assets they manage. Although this method of compensation supplies a very weak direct link between performance and the remuneration of managers, the authors show that competition among funds supplies a stronger indirect link. Empirical evidence is provided in the paper indicating that, owing to investor expectations of positive serial correlation in the performance of mutual funds, the indirect compensation offered by asset-based schemes provides a strong incentive to managers to maximize risk-adjusted fund returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael K. Berkowitz & Jiaping Qiu, 2001.
"Ownership, Risk and Performance of Mutual Fund Management Companies,"
berk-01-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Berkowitz, Michael K. & Qiu, Jiaping, 2003. "Ownership, risk and performance of mutual fund management companies," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 109-134.
- Ching-mann Huang & Len-kuo Hu & Hsin-Hong Kang, 2005. "Compensation Design and Career Concerns of Fund Manager," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 379-397, June.
- Lunde, Asger & Timmermann, Allan & Blake, David, 1999.
"The hazards of mutual fund underperformance: A Cox regression analysis,"
Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 121-152, April.
- Allan Timmermann & Asger Lunde, 1998. "The Hazards of Mutual Fund Underperformance: A Cox Regression Analysis," FMG Discussion Papers, Financial Markets Group dp302, Financial Markets Group.
- Lunde, Asger & Timmermann, Allan & Blake, David, 1998. "The Hazards of Mutual Fund Underperformance: A Cox Regression Analysis," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, UC San Diego qt1pd3z1hm, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Berkowitz, Michael K. & Kotowitz, Yehuda, 2000. "Investor risk evaluation in the determination of management incentives in the mutual fund industry," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 365-387, November.
- Michael K. Berkowitz & Yehuda Kotowitz, 1997. "The Determinants of Management Expenses," Working Papers berk-97-02, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Berkowitz, Michael K. & Kotowitz, Yehuda, 2002. "Managerial quality and the structure of management expenses in the US mutual fund industry," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 315-330.
- Judith Chevalier & Glenn Ellison, 1999.
"Career Concerns Of Mutual Fund Managers,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 389-432, May.
- Deaves, Richard, 2004. "Data-conditioning biases, performance, persistence and flows: The case of Canadian equity funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 673-694, March.
- Cashman, George D., 2010. "Pay-performance sensitivity and firm size: Insights from the mutual fund industry," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 400-412, September.
- Michael K. Berkowitz & Yehuda Kotowitz, 1997. "Management Compensation and the Performance of Mutual Funds," Working Papers berk-97-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Cvitanic, Jaksa & Lazrak, Ali & Wang, Tan, 2008. "Implications of the Sharpe ratio as a performance measure in multi-period settings," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1622-1649, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.