Co-integration, Error Correction, and Purchasing Power Parity between Canada and the United States
AbstractThe concept of cointegration and the associated error-correction representation of a dynamic process (see R. F. Engle and C. W. G. Granger, 1987) is applied to the purchasing power parity relationship between Canada and the United States. The results are supportive of purchasing power parity as a long-run equilibrium relationship between the Canadian dollar/American dollar exchange rate. The purchasing power parity relationship is maintained, although with different dynamic mechanisms, during both fixed and flexible exchange rate regimes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steigerwald, Douglas G., 1996. "Purchasing power parity, unit roots, and dynamic structure," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 343-357, February.
- Chiu, Ru-Lin, 2002. "Testing the purchasing power parity in panel data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 349-362.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesus Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2011.
"PPP in OECD countries: An analysis of real exchange rate stationarity, cross-sectional dependency and strucutral breaks,"
Discussion Paper Series
2011_17, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Nov 2011.
- Mark Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2012. "PPP in OECD Countries: An Analysis of Real Exchange Rate Stationarity, Cross-Sectional Dependency and Structural Breaks," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 23(5), pages 767-783, November.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2011. "PPP in OECD Countries: An Analysis of Real Exchange Rate Stationarity, cross-Sectional Dependency and Structural Breaks," Working Paper Series 51_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2011. "PPP in OECD Countries: An Analysis of Real Exchange Rate Stationarity, Cross-sectional Dependency and Structural Breaks," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1135, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Engert, Walter & Hendry, Scott, 1998. "Forecasting Inflation with the M1-VECM: Part Two," Working Papers 98-6, Bank of Canada.
- Mihir A. Desai & James R. Hines, Jr., 1999.
"Excess Capital Flows and the Burden of Inflation in Open Economies,"
in: The Costs and Benefits of Price Stability, pages 235-272
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir A. Desai & James R. Hines Jr., 1997. "Excess Capital Flows and the Burden of Inflation in Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 6064, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Fenton & Alain Paquet, 1997. "International Interest Rate Differentials: The Interaction with Fiscal and Monetary Variables, and the Business Cycle," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 56, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal, revised Jan 1998.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hasan, Shahriar & Wallace, Myles, 1996. "Real exchange rate volatility and exchange rate regimes: Evidence from long-term data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 67-73, July.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Ohara, Hidetaka, 1997. "Nonstationarity of Real Exchange Rates in the G7 Countries: Are They Cointegrated with Real Variables?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 523-547, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.