Canadian Regional Cycles: The Quebec-Ontario Case Revisited
AbstractCanadian economists have devoted some attention to the study of regional cycles. In the Quebec-Ontario case, the "wid ening" hypothesis has emerged as the empirical consensus: this hypot hesis states that the gap between the two regional economies increase s in a recessionary period. This paper reexamines this question using recent data and Bayesian vector autoregression models. The results o btained (monthly data on total employment, 1966-84) do not support th e prevailing position. A U.S. recession rapidly and strongly affects the Ontario economy while the impact on Quebec is much weaker. Conseq uently, a recession narrows the gap between the two provinces.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Faruk Balli & Syed Basher & Rosmy Jean Louis, 2012.
"Channels of risk-sharing among Canadian provinces: 1961–2006,"
Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 763-787, October.
- Basher, Syed A. & Balli, Faruk & Louis, Rosmy, 2009. "Channels of risk-sharing among Canadian provinces: 1961–2006," MPRA Paper 17300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Balli, Faruk & Basher, Syed Abul & Jean Louis, Rosmy, 2011. "Channels of risk-sharing among Canadian provinces: 1961--2006," MPRA Paper 30876, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Todd Potts & David Yerger, 2010. "Variations Across Canadian Regions in the Sensitivity to U.S. Monetary Policy," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 38(4), pages 443-454, December.
- Racette, Daniel & Raynauld, Jacques & Lauzon, Simon, 1992. "La règle monétaire de McCallum revue à la lumière de la méthodologie de Litterman," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 68(1), pages 262-282, mars et j.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.