Misalignment Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes: the Case of Turkey
AbstractThe paper examines misalignment of the Turkish lira between 1998 and 2011. We first estimate the equilibrium real exchange rate for Turkey, then compute misalignment and finally test for structural breaks in the misalignment series. Through our tests we find three structural regimes. Our results show that the lira was considerably overvalued in the first regime, which is when Turkey had a fixed exchange rate regime. This was not the case for the periods that had a floating exchange rate. Thus, we confirm that overvalued currencies that have been linked to financial crises are a more serious concern for fixed exchange rate regimes. More importantly, we find that volatility which is a bigger concern in floating regimes is a significant problem for Turkey in the last few years. In fact, the recent dangerously large and rising current account deficits may be a result of volatility rather than overvaluation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPII research center in its journal International Economics/Economie Internationale.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 130 ()
Cointegration; Exchange Rate Misalignment; Structural Breaks; S2S Estimator; Turkey;
Other versions of this item:
- Dağdeviren, Sengül & Ogus Binatli, Ayla & Sohrabji, Niloufer, 2011. "Misalignment under different exchange rate regimes: the case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 46774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2008.
"Currency Misalignments and Exchange Rate Regimes in Emerging and Developing Countries,"
2008-07, CEPII research center.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2009. "Currency Misalignments and Exchange Rate Regimes in Emerging and Developing Countries," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 121-136, 02.
- Irfan Civcir, 2003.
"Before the Fall, Was the Turkish Lira Overvalued?,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(2), pages 69-99, March.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- J. H. Eita & Moses M. Sichei, 2006. "Estimating the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate for Namibia," Working Papers 200608, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Ronald Macdonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2004.
"Estimation Of The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate For South Africa,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(2), pages 282-304, 06.
- Ronald MacDonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2003. "Estimation of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate for South Africa," IMF Working Papers 03/44, International Monetary Fund.
- J. Jouini & M. Boutahar, 2003. "Structural breaks in the U.S. inflation process: a further investigation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(15), pages 985-988.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Evan Lau, 2002.
"On the Sustainability of Current Account Deficits: Evidence from Four ASEAN Countries,"
0062, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2002.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Lau, Evan & Fountas, Stilianos, 2003. "On the sustainability of current account deficits: evidence from four ASEAN countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 465-487, June.
- Ayla Ogus & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2008. "Analyzing the Present Sustainability of Turkey’s Current Account Position," Working Papers 0803, Izmir University of Economics.
- Lucio Sarno, 2000. "Real exchange rate behaviour in high inflation countries: empirical evidence from Turkey, 1980-1997," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 285-291.
- Deniz Atasoy & Sweta C. Saxena, 2005.
"Misaligned? Overvalued? The Untold Story of the Turkish Lira,"
- Deniz Atasoy & Sweta C. Saxena, 2006. "Misaligned? Overvalued?. The Untold Story of the Turkish Lira," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(3), pages 29-45, May.
- Claudio Paiva, 2006. "External Adjustment and Equilibrium Exchange Rate in Brazil," IMF Working Papers 06/221, International Monetary Fund.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Rodrigo O. ValdŽs, 1999. "The Aftermath Of Appreciations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 229-262, February.
- Alper, C. Emre & Saglam, Ismail, 1999. "The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate: Evidence from Turkey," MPRA Paper 1924, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David M. Kemme & Saktinil Roy, 2005.
"Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: Prelude to Crisis?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp797, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kemme, David M. & Roy, Saktinil, 2006. "Real exchange rate misalignment: Prelude to crisis?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 207-230, October.
- Elena Loukoianova & Plamen Iossifov, 2007. "Estimation of a Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate Model for Ghana," IMF Working Papers 07/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Rodrigo Caputo G. & Igal Magendzo, 2009. "Do Exchange Rate Regimes Matter For Inflation And Exchange Rate Dynamics? The Case Of Central America," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 517, Central Bank of Chile.
- Jean-Francois Hoarau & Ibrahim Ahamada & Alain Nurbel, 2007. "Multiple structural regimes in real exchange rate misalignment: the case of Australian dollar," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 101-104.
- Alper, Ahmet Murat & Civcir, İrfan, 2012. "Can overvaluation prelude to crisis and harm growth in Turkey," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 112-131.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.