Market power in the russian banking industry
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to analyze bank competition in Russia by measuring the market power of Russian banks and its determinants over the period 2001-2006 with the Lerner index. We find that bank competition has only slightly improved during the period studied. The mean Lerner index for Russian banks is of the same magnitude as those observed in developed countries, which suggests that the Russian banking industry is not plagued by weak competition. Furthermore, we find no greater market power for state-controlled banks nor less market power for foreign-owned banks. Finally, our analysis of the determinants of market power enables the identification of several factors that influence competition, including market concentration and risk as well as the nonlinear influence of size.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPII research center in its journal International Economics/Economie Internationale.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 124 ()
Market Power; Bank Competition; Russia;
Other versions of this item:
- Fungacova, Zuzana & Solanko, Laura & Weill, Laurent, 2010. "Market power in the Russian banking industry," BOFIT Discussion Papers 3/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Zuzana Fungacova & Laura Solanko & Laurent Weill, 2010. "Market Power in the Russian Banking Industry," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-09, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Georgios Efthyvoulou & Canan Yildirim, 2013.
"Market Power in CEE Banking Sectors and the Impact of the Global Financial Crisis,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0452, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Efthyvoulou, Georgios & Yildirim, Canan, 2014. "Market power in CEE banking sectors and the impact of the global financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 11-27.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Soledad Martinez Peria, Maria & Melecky, Martin, 2010. "Banking sector competition in Russia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5449, The World Bank.
- Ömer Ýskenderoglu & Serpil Tomak, 2013. "Competition and Stability: An Analysis of the Turkish Banking System," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 752-762.
- Weill, Laurent, 2013.
"Bank competition in the EU: How has it evolved?,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 100-112.
- Vernikov, Andrei, 2010. "Direct and indirect state ownership on banks in Russia," MPRA Paper 21373, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Olga Pak & Mira Nurmakhanova, 2013. "The Effect of Market Power on Bank Credit Risk-Taking and Bank Stability in Kazakhstan," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 335-350, November.
- Andrei Vernikov, 2011. "Government Banking in Russia: Magnitude and New Features," IWH Discussion Papers 13, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Vernikov, Andrei, 2012.
"«Национальные Чемпионы» В Структуре Российского Рынка Банковских Услуг
[National champions and the competitive structure of the Russia," MPRA Paper 40236, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fungacova, Zuzana & Weill, Laurent & Zhou, Mingming, 2010. "Bank capital, liquidity creation and deposit insurance," BOFIT Discussion Papers 17/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Fungáčová, Zuzana & Pessarossi, Pierre & Weill, Laurent, 2013.
"Is bank competition detrimental to efficiency? Evidence from China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 121-134.
- Fungácová, Zuzana & Pessarossi , Pierre & Weill , Laurent, 2012. "Is bank competition detrimental to efficiency? Evidence from China," BOFIT Discussion Papers 31/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Phil Molyneux & Hong Liu & John O.S. Wilson, 2010. "Measuring Competition and Stability: Recent Evidence for European Banking," Working Papers 10020, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Yong Tan & Christos Floros, 2013. "Market power, stability and performance in the Chinese banking industry," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 18(2), pages 65-90, September.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Pería, María Soledad Martínez & Melecky, Martin, 2012. "Bank competition in Russia: An examination at different levels of aggregation," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 42-57.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.