Is There a Link Between the American S&L Crisis of the 80s and the Subprime Crisis? An Analysis of Bank Returns
AbstractBetween 2000 and 2002, the American Federal Open Market Committee has strongly decreased its target rate. This decrease, associated with external economic factors as well as innovative financial practices has influenced investors’ behaviour. In this paper, we analyze the financial causes of the subprime crisis, in comparison with the American S&Ls crisis of the 1980s. We perform an event study on banks returns and show that only the monetary policy of the FED, i.e. interest rates, seems to have influenced, to some extent, these returns. Our analysis also stresses how securitization practices may explain one of the noticeable differences between the S&L crisis and the subprime crisis’ consequences while their origins seem to be similar.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPII research center in its journal International Economics/Economie Internationale.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 122 ()
Subprimes; savings and loans; securitization; bank returns; credit risk;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ureche-Rangau, Loredana & Burietz, Aurore, 2013. "One crisis, two crises…the subprime crisis and the European sovereign debt problems," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 35-44.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.