Saving-Investment Relationship, Financial Crisis and Structural Changes in East Asian Countries
AbstractIn this article, the impact of the Asian crisis on the saving-investment relationship of selected East Asian countries with the rest of the world is examined using a Markov switching regression on East Asian countries. As a first result, estimates of the saving retention coefficients show that for most Asian countries, the Asian crisis period marks a shift from high saving retention coefficients during the pre-crisis period to low ones up to the end of the sample period. Low saving retention coefficients are also observed during the 1980s decade. For some countries, these coincide with certain phases of their development. A second result of interest is that periods with relatively low coefficient estimates, implying relatively higher capital mobility, are associated with current account surpluses. This result can be more explained by high and stable domestic saving rates than by low investment rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPII research center in its journal Economie Internationale.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 111 ()
Saving-investment relationship; financial integration; asian crisis; markov-switching model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cécile Couharde & Cyriac Guillaumin, 2011. "Chocs externes et perspective d'union monétaire en Asie de l'Est : les enseignements d'un modèle VAR structurel," Post-Print halshs-00632373, HAL.
- Ketenci, Natalya, 2014. "The Feldstein –Horioka Puzzle and structural breaks: Evidence from the largest countries of Asia," MPRA Paper 54660, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.