The Phasing out of EU Agricultural Export Subsidies: Impacts of Two Management Schemes
AbstractThe present round of multilateral trade negotiations at the World Trade Organisation is likely to put an end to European export subsidies on agricultural and food products. This paper attempts to evaluate such a policy scenario. Its main contribution is to compare two management schemes for the European Union economy. The first one has confidence in the equilibrium role of market prices while the second one favours a supply management approach. Our empirical results, based on a computable general equilibrium model, show huge effects on the dairy sector and reveal that the choice of a management scheme has a substantial bearing on sectoral welfare effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPII research center in its journal Economie Internationale.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): 101 ()
WTO; CAP; trade policy; agriculture; CGEM; trade negotiations; international trade; common agricultural policy; export subsidies; supply management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrew Muhammad & Richard L. Kilmer, 2008. "The impact of EU export subsidy reductions on U.S. dairy exports," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 557-574.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.