Estimation with price and output uncertainty
AbstractThis paper extends the existing estimation methods to allow estimation under simultaneous price and output uncertainty. In contrast with the previous literature, our approach is applicable to the direct and indirect utility functions and does not require specification and estimation of the production function. We derive estimating equations for the two most common forms of output risk (additive and multiplicative risks) and empirically determine which form is appropriate. Moreover, our estimation method can be utilized by future empirical studies in several ways. First, our method can be extended to include multiple sources of uncertainty. Second, it is applicable to other specifications of output uncertainty. Third, it can be used to conduct hypothesis tests regarding the functional forms and distributions. Furthermore, it enables the future empirical researcher to empirically verify/ refute the theoretical comparative statics results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universidad del CEMA in its journal Journal of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): VIII (2005)
Issue (Month): (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/jae.html
More information through EDIRC
estimating equations; output uncertainty; price uncertainty; utility;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arshanapalli, Bala G. & Gupta, Omprakash K., 1996. "Optimal hedging under output price uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 522-536, December.
- Dalal, Ardeshir, 1990. "Symmetry Restrictions in the Analysis of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(1), pages 207-11, February.
- Antonovitz, Frances & Roe, Terry, 1986.
"A Theoretical and Empirical Approach to the Value of Information in Risky Markets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 105-14, February.
- Antonovitz, Frances & Roe, Terry L., 1984. "A Theoretical And Empirical Approach To The Value Of Information In Risky Markets," Staff Papers, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics 13467, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Elie Appelbaum & Aman Ullah, 1997.
"Estimation Of Moments And Production Decisions Under Uncertainty,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 631-637, November.
- Elie Appelbaum & Aman Ullah, 1996. "Estimation of moments and production decisions under uncertainty," Working Papers, York University, Department of Economics 1996_9, York University, Department of Economics.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Holt, Matthew T, 1996. "Economic Behavior under Uncertainty: A Joint Analysis of Risk Preferences and Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 329-35, May.
- Moawia Alghalith, 2010. "A test of statistical independence under uncertainty," International Journal of Computational Economics and Econometrics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3/4), pages 343-345.
- Alghalith, Moawia & Dalal, Ardeshir, 2009. "The choice between multiplicative and additive production uncertainty," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1129-1133, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.