Inégalité de milieu d'origine et destin salarial en France,1977-1993
AbstractTo analyze equality of opportunity we examine the influence of family characteristics on the distribution of outcome for a given generation. Here, we study changes in equality of opportunity for income acquisition between 1977 and 1993, conditional on father?s income level and income rank, using the FQP surveys. First, resorting to stochastic dominance criteria, we show that inequality of opportunity appears stable over this period, if one conditions on father?s income level, but has decreased, if one conditions on father?s income rank. Second, we offer an equality of opportunity index, based on the mean logarithmic deviation and show how to decompose the evolution over time of this index using standard intergenerational earnings regression analysis. Using this framework, we show that the first result arises from the stability over time in the intergenerational earnings elasticity while the second stems from a reduction in earnings inequality among fathers between 1977 and 1993. In other words, lower earnings inequality among parents, between these two dates, has translated into lower earnings inequality among children, although the strength of the association between the income of successive generations has remained unchanged.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Dalloz in its journal Revue d'économie politique.
Volume (Year): Volume 117 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-d-economie-politique.htm
inequality of opportunity; stochastic dominance; circumstances; mean logarithmic deviation;
Other versions of this item:
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006. "Inegalite de milieu dâ€™origine et destin salarial en France, 1977-1993," IDEP Working Papers, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France 0607, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 01 Dec 2006.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006. "Inégalité de milieu d'origine et destin salarial en France, 1977-1993," THEMA Working Papers 2006-22, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.