À propos de la volatilité de l'euro
Abstract[eng] Discussing Euro volatility. Jerome Creel and Henri Sterdyniak. Is the introduction of the euro likely to increase the volatility of the exchange rates on a worldwide scale ? This article presents a three countries model to compare the exchange rate volatility depending on the nature of the shocks and the exchange rate regime in Europe (flexible, EMS or EMU). In theory, the exchange rate of a large closed country fluctuates more than that the exchange rate of a small open country, but results are ambiguous in the specific case of the euro. An increase in volatility would only occur after demand and external supply shocks. Volatility would be reduced following internal supply shocks. The conclusions are the opposite if the sensitivity of intra-European trade to relative prices is particularly strong. In the case of common shocks in Europe, the surplus in volatility would help economic stabilisation. As for (hitting only one country), the euro would fluctuate less than the currency of the hit country, but this stability would harm economic stabilisation. However, the independence of the ECB could lead to strong variations of the euro after inflationary shocks. In addition, the constraints on fiscal policies which are induced by the Stability pact would make more active monetary policies necessary : these would be a source of instability. [fre] Faut-il craindre que instauration de euro accroisse la volatilitÃ© des taux de change Ã©chelle mondiale ? Cet article utilise une maquette Ã trois pays pour comparer la volatilitÃ© du taux de change selon la nature des chocs et le rÃ©gime de change en Europe (change flexible, SME ou UEM). Si, thÃ©oriquement, le taux de change d'un grand pays fermÃ© fluctue plus que celui un petit pays ouvert, les rÃ©sultats sont mitigÃ©s dans le cas spÃ©cifique de l'euro. Le surplus de volatilitÃ© n'aurait lieu que pour des chocs de demande ou des chocs d'offre externe. La volatilitÃ© serait rÃ©duite Ã la suite de chocs d'offre interne. C
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue de l'OFCE.
Volume (Year): n° 65 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-de-l-ofce.htm
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin, Philippe, 1997.
"The Exchange Rate Policy of the Euro: A Matter of Size?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Philippe, 1998. "The Exchange Rate Policy of the Euro: A Matter of Size?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 455-482, December.
- Philippe Martin, 1997. "The Exchange Rate Policy of the Euro: a Matter of Size?," Working Papers 1997-06, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 1998.
"L'euro et la stabilité des taux de change. Une analyse théorique,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 49(3), pages 733-742.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 1998. "L'euro et la stabilité des taux de change. Une analyse théorique," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 733-742.
- Pesaran, B & Robinson, G, 1993. "The European Exchange Rate Mechanism and the Volatility of the Sterling-Deutschemark Exchange Rate," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(421), pages 1418-31, November.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1997.
"How will the euro behave ?,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benoît Mojon & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 1997. "The Euro and Exchange Rate Stability," Working Papers 1997-12, CEPII research center.
- Y. K. Tse, 1998. "The conditional heteroscedasticity of the yen-dollar exchange rate," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 49-55.
- Henri Sterdyniak & Pierre Villa, 1993.
"Régimes de change et coordination des politiques économiques en Europe,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(1), pages 307-348.
- Henri Sterdyniak & Pierre Villa, 1993. "Régimes de change et coordination des politiques économiques en Europe," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 43(1), pages 307-348.
- Henri Sterdyniak & Jérôme Creel, 1999.
"La politique monétaire sans monnaie,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Programme National Persée, vol. 70(1), pages 111-153.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.