Évaluer le droit du licenciement. Comparaison des droits et des procédures, mesure des actions
AbstractThe article aims at providing an original contribution to the economic assessment of labour law issue. It is based on a theoretical framework shared by economists and jurists which unable an assessment of employment protection legislation in a dynamic perspective focusing on implementation of law and enforcement issues. The article focuses on activation and use of legal rights instead on their sole nominal content. It considers litigation as a relevant basis for assessment of law which permits a reconsideration of both procedures and motives of individual and collective layoffs. The litigation viewpoint is also the basis of a critical assessment of employment protection indicators owing to the fact that they do not capture nor judicial enforcement of labour law nor courts rulings in dismissal cases. An empirical quantitative analysis is then conducted in order to try to explain why labour contract litigation in France decreases sharply since several years. The reasons can be found in two factors : first, a huge trend of job creation in small firms ; second, a decrease of the average length of service of fired workers. Finally, the report scrutinizes the argument that a strict regulation of dismissals for economic motives leads the employers to strategically use individual dismissal procedures. The ?substitution effect? does not seem to be supported by empirical evidence in the French case. Classification JEL : J53, J64, K31.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue de l'OFCE.
Volume (Year): n° 107 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-de-l-ofce.htm
Dismissal; Employment protection legislation; Litigation; International comparisons; Evaluation of employment law;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J53 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Labor-Management Relations; Industrial Jurisprudence
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- K31 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Labor Law
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Camille Signoretto & Julie Valentin, 2012. "Pratiques des employeurs en matière de licenciements : une analyse sur données d'entreprises," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00719764, HAL.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00719764 is not listed on IDEAS
- Camille Signoretto & Julie Valentin, 2012. "Pratiques des employeurs en matière de licenciements : une analyse sur données d'entreprises," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12049, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Nathalie Berta & Camille Signoretto & Julie Valentin, 2010. "La rupture conventionnelle : objectifs officiels versus enjeux implicites," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10101, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00560422 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.