Les industries de haute technologie de la zone euro et des États-Unis. Une étude comparée de la compétitivité et des parts de marché
AbstractThe aim of this paper is first, to analyze the nature of the gap in high tech industries (HT), between the United States and the EMU, and second, to investigate the link between cost competitiveness and market shares in these industries. We show that there is a growing production gap between US and EMU, in favour of US, since the beginning of 1990s. But surprisingly, EMU exports caught up the US exports in HT while the EMU increased its world market shares. Our investigation of the relationship between export market shares and cost competitiveness leads to two results. We conclude first, that the cost-competitiveness, through the exchange rate and the labour productivity, affects the changes in market shares of HT; second, that a non-cost competitiveness is also acting. The latter is conveyed by higher labour cost associated to high skilled qualification. JEL Codes: F14, L63, L60, F31, O30.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue de l'OFCE.
Volume (Year): 98 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-de-l-ofce.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Sarah Guillou, 2006. "Les industries de haute technologie de la zone euro et des Etats-Unis : une étude comparée de la compétitivité et des parts de marché," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/7305, Sciences Po.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L63 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Microelectronics; Computers; Communications Equipment
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wendy Carlin & Andrew Glyn & John Van Reenen, 1999.
"Export Market Performance of OECD countries: an empirical examination of the role of cost competitiveness,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Carlin, Wendy & Glyn, Andrew & Van Reenen, John, 2001. "Export Market Performance of OECD Countries: An Empirical Examination of the Role of Cost Competitiveness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(468), pages 128-62, January.
- Marius Brülhart, 1998. "Trading Places: Industrial Specialization in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 319-346, 09.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness: Errata," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1203, December.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-75, September.
- M. Landesmann & M. Pfaffermayr, 1997. "Technological competition and trade performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 179-196.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Ricardo A. López, 2005. "Trade and Growth: Reconciling the Macroeconomic and Microeconomic Evidence," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 623-648, 09.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 355-74, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.