Un indicateur de croissance à court terme au Royaume-Uni
AbstractThis paper presents a new leading indicator of UK output growth. The purpose of the indicator is to forecast quarterly GDP growth over a two-quarter horizon, using industrial production, capacity utilisation, the retail sales index, a wholesale trade survey factor, a financial survey factor and short-term interest rates. The indicator is built on a two-step regression-based approach. First, we estimate an equation for the quarterly GDP growth rate based on coincident and leading series. Second, we estimate monthly and/or quarterly equations which will be used to forecast the coincident and leading series showing a lead of up to six months. This enables us to predict GDP growth for the current and coming quarters. We check that the indicator would have produced reasonable forecasts over the last four years.JEL Code: E37.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue de l'OFCE.
Volume (Year): 89 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-de-l-ofce.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Catherine Mathieu & Françoise Charpin, 2004. "Un indicateur de croissance à court terme au Royaume-Uni," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/1782, Sciences Po.
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Éric Heyer & Hervé Péléraux, 2004.
"Un indicateur de croissance infra-annuelle pour l'économie française,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 88(1), pages 203-218.
- Hervé Péléraux & Eric Heyer, 2004. "Un indicateur de croissance infra-annuelle pour l'économie française," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/1926, Sciences Po.
- Françoise Charpin, 2001. "Un indicateur de croissance à court terme aux États-Unis," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 79(4), pages 171-189.
- Françoise Charpin, 2002. "Un indicateur de croissance à court terme de la zone euro," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 83(4), pages 229-242.
- Eduardo Salazar & Richard Smith & Martin Weale & Stephen Wright, 1997. "A Monthly Indicator of GDP," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 161(1), pages 84-89, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.