Compétitivité et régime de change en Europe centrale
Abstract[fre] Les pays d'Europe centrale connaissent une ouverture rapide au commerce international et le plus souvent une apprÃ©ciation de leur taux de change rÃ©el. En construisant un modÃ¨le dont les Ã©quations sont estimÃ©es pour trois pays, la Hongrie, la Pologne et la RÃ©publique tchÃ¨que, on montre que la conjonction de ces deux facteurs structurels met en pÃ©ril la modernisation dans le respect de l'Ã©quilibre extÃ©rieur. L'inflation est sous contrÃ´le mais doit rester Ã un niveau assez Ã©levÃ© pour que les entreprises financent l'investissement productif sans recours excessif aux entrÃ©es de capitaux. Ces contraintes conduisent Ã des politiques de taux de change rÃ©el guidÃ©es par la profitabilitÃ© des entreprises. [eng] Central Europe countries have experimented a rapid opening of their international trade, and their real exchange rate has had a tendency to appreciate on the long run. We built a model in order to link the GDP growth and the trade balance to the opening ratio and the real exchange rate. We show that the simultaneous rise in the opening ratio and the appreciation of the exchange rate jeopardise the trade balance, taking into account the necessary high demand growth. Inflation is declining but should remain at a sufficient level for the firms to finance their investment without excessively borrowing from abroad. The choice of exchange rate regimes should therefore take into account these constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue économique.
Volume (Year): n° 50 (1999)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-economique.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Camille Baulant & Michel Aglietta & Virginie Coudert, 1999. "Compétitivité et régime de change en Europe centrale," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 50(6), pages 1221-1236.
- Michel Aglietta & Camille Baulant & Virginie Coudert, 1998. "Compétitivité et régime de change en Europe Centrale," Working Papers 1998-10, CEPII research center.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994.
"Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence,"
13412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995. "Targeting the real exchange rate: theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 97-133, June.
- Halpern, László, 1996.
"Real Exchange Rates and Exchange Rate Policy in Hungary,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1366, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- László Halpern, 1996. "Real exchange rate and exchange rate policy in Hungary," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(1), pages 211-228, 05.
- Begg, David, 1997. "Monetary Policy during Transition: Progress and Pitfalls in Central and Eastern Europe, 1990-6," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 33-46, Summer.
- Pierre-Richard Agenor & Alexander W. Hoffmaister, 1996. "Capital inflows and the real exchange rate: analytical framework and econometric evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 101-146.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor & Alexander W. Hoffmaister, 1996. "Capital Inflows and the Real Exchange Rate," IMF Working Papers 96/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Lionel Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 1996.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies,"
IMF Working Papers
96/125, International Monetary Fund.
- LÃ¡szlÃ³ Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 1997. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(4), pages 430-461, December.
- Clemens Grafe & Charles Wyplosz, 1998.
"The real exchange rate in transition economies,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20268, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Balázs Égert & Kirsten Lommatzsch, 2004.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in the Transition: The Tradable Price-Based Real Appreciation and Estimation Uncertainty,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2004-676, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Égert, Balázs & Lommatzsch, Kirsten, 2004. "Equilibrium exchange rates in the transition: The tradable price-based real appreciation and estimation uncertainty," BOFIT Discussion Papers 9/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Kierzenkowski, Rafal, 2002. "The Multi-Regime Bank Lending Channel and the Effectiveness of the Polish Monetary Policy Transmission During Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3624, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Kalina Dimitrova, 2002. "Dual Inflation Under the Currency Board: The Challenges of Bulgarian EU Accession," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 487, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kierzenkowski, Rafal, 2005. "The multi-regime bank lending channel and the effectiveness of the Polish monetary policy transmission during transition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Michel Aglietta & Camille Baulant & Sandra Moatti, 2003. "Les PECO devant la tentation de l'euro," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 93, pages 11-36.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.