Renouvellement de la main-d'œuvre et modernisation des entreprises
AbstractIn this paper, we empirically identify the changes in the skill structure and the evolution of job flows (creations, destructions) associated with the modernization trajectory of firms. Rather than considering organizational and technological changes separately, we provide a measure of modernization of firms which reflects their coordination in a dynamic perspective. This measure allows determining if the renewal dynamic of labor force depends on the stage of diffusion of the new technologies and innovative work organization practices. These tests are conducted on a sample of 2 431 French manufacturing firms questioned in the survey on ?Organizational Changes and Computerization?. Classification JEL : L23, M54
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue économique.
Volume (Year): 57 (2006)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-economique.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- M54 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Labor Management
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Osterman, 1994. "How common is workplace transformation and who adopts it?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(2), pages 173-188, January.
- Van Reenen, John & Caroli, Eve, 2001.
"Skill-Biased Organizational Change? Evidence from a panel of British and French establishments,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/10093, Paris Dauphine University.
- Eve Caroli & John Van Reenen, 2001. "Skill-Biased Organizational Change? Evidence From A Panel Of British And French Establishments," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1449-1492, November.
- Caroli, Eve & Van Reenen, John, 1999. "Skill biased organizational change? Evidence from a panel of British and French establishments," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9917, CEPREMAP.
- Nathalie Greenan & Emmanuelle Walkowiak, 2005.
"Informatique, organisation du travail et intéractions sociales,"
- Nathalie Greenan & Emmanuelle Walkowiak, 2005. "Informatique, organisation du travail et interactions sociales," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 387(1), pages 35-63.
- Philippe Azkenazy & Eva Moreno, 2004.
"The impact of technological and organizational changes on labor flows. Evidence on French establishments,"
DELTA Working Papers
2004-25, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Philippe Askenazy & Eva Moreno Galbis, 2007. "The Impact of Technological and Organizational Changes on Labor Flows. Evidence on French Establishments," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(2), pages 265-301, 06.
- Philippe, ASKENAZY & Eva, MORENO-GALBIS, 2004. "The impact of technological and organizatioanl changes on labor flows. Evidence on French establishments," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2004031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Goldin, Claudia & Katz, Lawrence F, 1996. "Technology, Skill, and the Wage Structure: Insights from the Past," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 252-57, May.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2003.
"Computing Productivity: Firm-Level Evidence,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 793-808, November.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Nicola Matteucci, 2005.
"Is there skilled-biased technological change in Italian manufacturing? Evidence from firm-level data,"
Brussels Economic Review,
ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 48(1-2), pages 153-182.
- Massimiliano BRATTI & Nicola MATTEUCCI, 2004. "Is There Skill-Biased Technological Change in Italian Manufacturing? Evidence from Firm-Level Data," Working Papers 202, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2002.
"Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover,"
IZA Discussion Papers
570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2004. "Technological change, organizational change, and job turnover," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 265-291, June.
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan, 2002. "Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover," CEPR Discussion Papers 3534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- S. Black & L. Lynch, 1997.
"How to compete: the impact of workplace practices and information technology on productivity,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20298, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2001. "How To Compete: The Impact Of Workplace Practices And Information Technology On Productivity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 434-445, August.
- S Black & L Lynch, 1997. "How to Compete: The Impact of Workplace Practices and Information Technology on Productivity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0376, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 1997. "How to Compete: The Impact of Workplace Practices and Information Technology on Productivity," NBER Working Papers 6120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lisa M Lynch & Sandra E Black, 2002. "How to Compete: The Impact of Workplace Practices and Information Technology on Productivity," Working Papers 02-04, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Jacques Mairesse & Nathalie Greenan & Agnes Topiol-Bensaid, 2001. "Information Technology and Research and Development Impacts on Productivity and Skills: Looking for Correlations on French Firm Level Data," NBER Working Papers 8075, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "The Economics of Modern Manufacturing: Technology, Strategy, and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 511-28, June.
- Paul Osterman, 2000. "Work reorganization in an era of restructuring: Trends in diffusion and effects on employee welfare," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(2), pages 179-196, January.
- Richard Duhautois, 2002. "Les réallocations d'emplois en France sont-elles en phase avec le cycle ?," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 351(1), pages 87-103.
- Nathalie Greenan, 2003. "Organisational change, technology, employment and skills: an empirical study of French manufacturing," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 287-316, March.
- Nathalie Greenan, 1996. "Progrès technique et changements organisationnels : leur impact sur l'emploi et les qualifications," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 298(1), pages 35-44.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, December.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00654195 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00654195 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luc Behagel & Eve Caroli & Emmanuelle Walkowiak, 2007.
"Innovation and Skill Upgrading : The Role of External vs Internal Labour Markets,"
2007-02, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Luc Behaghel & Eve Caroli & Emmanuelle Walkowiak, 2008. "Innovation and skill upgrading: The role of external vs internal labour markets," PSE Working Papers halshs-00588316, HAL.
- Philippe Zamora, 2006. "Changements organisationnels, technologiques et recours à la formation dans les entreprises industrielles," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(6), pages 1235-1257.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00588316 is not listed on IDEAS
- Coralie Perez, 2011. "Organisational change and job separation in France: endure or escape?," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11073, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.