Ressources naturelles, impatience et progrès technique
AbstractThis paper studies the intertemporal substitutions between the use of renewable and non renewable resources if the productivities of the different kinds of resources are improved through time by exogenous trends of dedicated technical progress. We show that the optimal exploitation paths of the resources may exhibit much more complex patterns than those predicted by a usual rule of exploitation by increasing costs order. More precisely, we show that in some circumstances, it is optimal for the society to split in two distinct phases the exploitation of the exhaustible resource, separated by a phase of exploitation of the sole renewable resource.Classification JEL : Q20, Q30, Q40, Q55
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue économique.
Volume (Year): 57 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-economique.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- Q30 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
- Q55 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Technological Innovation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Magne, Bertrand & Moreaux, Michel, 2006.
"A Hotelling model with a ceiling on the stock of pollution,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2875-2904, December.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Magné, Bertrand & Moreaux, Michel, 2005. "A Hotelling Model with a Ceiling on the Stock of Pollution," IDEI Working Papers 368, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Bertrand Magne & Michel Moreaux, 2003. "A Hotelling Model with a Ceiling on the Stock of Pollution," Emory Economics 0321, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Tahvonen, Olli & Salo, Seppo, 2001. "Economic growth and transitions between renewable and nonrenewable energy resources," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1379-1398, August.
- Kamien, Morton I & Schwartz, Nancy L, 1978. "Optimal Exhaustible Resource Depletion with Endogenous Technical Change," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 179-96, February.
- Grimaud, Andre & Rouge, Luc, 2003. "Non-renewable resources and growth with vertical innovations: optimum, equilibrium and economic policies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(2, Supple), pages 433-453, March.
- Bertrand Magné & Michel Moreaux, 2005. "Stabilisation du climat et expansion nucléaire," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 20(1), pages 181-233.
- Robson, Arthur J, 1980. "Costly Innovation and Natural Resources," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 17-30, February.
- Murray C. Kemp & Ngo Van Long, 2007. "Extracting Several Resource Deposits of Unknown Size: Optimal Order," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-10, CIRANO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.