Quelles politiques de l'innovation et de l'environnement pour quelle dynamique d'innovation environnementale ?
AbstractWhile there is today a large consensus around the extent and causes of climate change and the environment deterioration as well as on their mid-long term economic consequences if nothing is done, the international community remains divided regarding the nature, the scale and the schedule of the remedying actions that should be undertaken. In order to clarify the ongoing debates concerning these pending issues, economic analysis has proposed a series of interesting solutions based upon various institutional mechanisms and market devices. Paradoxically, environmental innovation occupies only a secondary role within this policy framework meanwhile many experts and analysts consider it as a key solution to environmental problems. Moreover, it is widely agreed that some environmental innovations should represent a considerable economic potential in the long term. How can one explain this paradox? We suggest in this exploratory article the following idea: innovation is not a core component in the agenda of policy-makers in charge of environment and climate issues because on the one hand innovation policies as well as environmental policies are usually inappropriate, and because these policies are usually designed and implemented without any due coordination among them, on the other hand. Codes JEL: B52, E6, L5, O3, Q55
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Boeck Université in its journal Innovations.
Volume (Year): n° 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-innovations.ht
co-evolution; environmental innovations; firms; incentives; public policies; sustainable development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B52 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Institutional; Evolutionary
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- Q55 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Technological Innovation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Julien Jacob, 2011. "Innovation and diffusion in risky industries under liability law: the case of “double-impact” innovations," Working Papers of BETA 2011-24, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Maria Lorek, 2013. "Innovations environnementales et transition des territoires industriels et portuaires : le cas de Gdansk, Pologne Environmental Innovation and the Economic Transition of the Industrial and port areas:," Working Papers 273, Laboratoire de Recherche sur l'Industrie et l'Innovation. ULCO / Research Unit on Industry and Innovation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.