Information-Theoretic Analysis of Serial Dependence and Cointegration
AbstractThis paper is devoted to presenting wider characterizations of memory and cointegration in time series, in terms of information-theoretic statistics such as the entropy and the mutual information between pairs of variables. We suggest a nonparametric and nonlinear methodology for data analysis and for testing the hypotheses of long memory and the existence of a cointegrating relationship in a nonlinear context. This new framework represents a natural extension of the linear-memory concepts based on correlations. Finally, we show that our testing devices seem promising for exploratory analysis with nonlinearly cointegrated time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 3 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gilles DUFRENOT & Elisabeth GRIMAUD & Eug=E9nie LATIL & Val=E9rie MIGNON, 2003. "Real exhange rate misalignment in Hungary: a fractionally integrated=20 threshold model," Econometrics 0309001, EconWPA.
- G. Dufrenot & E. Grimaud & E. Latil & V. Mignon, 2003. "Real exchange rate misalignment in Hungary: a fractionally integrated threshold model," THEMA Working Papers 2003-07, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Diks Cees & Manzan Sebastiano, 2002.
"Tests for Serial Independence and Linearity Based on Correlation Integrals,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-22, July.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Manzan, S., 2001. "Tests for serial independence and linearity based on correlation integrals," CeNDEF Working Papers 01-02, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Yoon, Gawon, 2010. "Do real exchange rates really follow threshold autoregressive or exponential smooth transition autoregressive models?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 605-612, March.
- Felipe M. Aparicio Acosta, 2003. "On The Record Properties Of Integrated Time Series," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws036414, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Nikolaus A. Siegfried, 2002.
"An information-theoretic extension to structural VAR modelling,"
- Nikolaus A. Siegfried, 2002. "An information-theoretic extension to structural VAR modelling," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20203, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Felipe M. Aparicio & Alvaro Escribano, 2003. "Cointegration Tests Based On Record Counting Statistics," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws036615, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Cees Diks & Sebastiano Manzan, 2001. "Tests for Serial Independence and Linearity based on Correlation Integrals," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-085/1, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.