Determinants of Merchant Participation in Credit Card Payment Schemes
AbstractThis paper aims to empirically establish the determinants of merchant participation in credit card payment schemes. It is found that a merchant's personal background, type of business and total value of sales are significant in determining a merchant's acceptance of cards in payment transactions. Further, it is found that customers' usage of credit cards and other merchants acceptance of credit cards in payments have a significant influence on a merchant's decision. Findings also indicate that non-pecuniary strategic factors are stronger drivers and barriers to a merchant's participation in credit cards payments services compared to monetary related factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Review of Network Economics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jonker Nicole, 2011.
"Card Acceptance and Surcharging: the Role of Costs and Competition,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(2), pages 1-35, June.
- Nicole Jonker, 2011. "Card acceptance and surcharging: the role of costs and competition," DNB Working Papers 300, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Carbó-Valverde, Santiago & Liñares-Zegarra, José M., 2009.
"How effective are rewards programs in promoting payment card usage? Empirical evidence,"
Working Paper Series
1141, European Central Bank.
- Carbó-Valverde, Santiago & Liñares-Zegarra, José M., 2011. "How effective are rewards programs in promoting payment card usage? Empirical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3275-3291.
- Carbó Valverde Santiago & Liñares-Zegarra José Manuel, 2009. "How Effective Are Rewards Programs in Promoting Payment Card Usage? Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 201059, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Fennee Chong Author_Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, 2011. "Credit Card Dues," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-016-137, Conference Master Resources.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.