Labor-use Efficiency in Tunisian Manufacturing Industiries
AbstractThis paper investigates the process of adjustment in employment. A dynamic model is applied to a panel of six Tunisian manufacturing industries observed over a period of 25 years, from 1971 to 1996. Industries are assumed to adjust their labor inputs toward a desired level. A labor requirement function is specified in terms of observable variables used to model the desired level of labor. The adjustment process is both industry-specific, as well as time-specific, and is expressed in terms of factors affecting the speed of adjustment. The empirical results show that, in the long run, employment demands respond greatest to output, followed by changes in capital stock, and least by wages. Over time, the speed of adjustment in employment and the degree of labor-use efficiency show large variations among the industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Review of Middle East Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
Other versions of this item:
- Haouas, Ilham & Yagoubi, Mahmoud & Heshmati, Almas, 2003. "Labour-Use Efficiency in Tunisian Manufacturing Industries," IZA Discussion Papers 687, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Heshmati, Almas & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 2000.
"How Fast Do Banks Adjust? A Dynamic Model of Labor-Use with an Application to Swedish Banks,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
411, Stockholm School of Economics, revised Nov 2001.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Almas Heshmati & Lennart Hjalmarsson, 2002. "How Fast Do Banks Adjust? A Dynamic Model of Labor-Use with an Application to Swedish Banks," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 79-102, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983.
" Dynamic Factor Demands under Rational Expectations,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 223-38.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Rotemberg, Julio., 1982. "Dynamic factor demands under rational expectations," Working papers 1351-82., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1982. "Dynamic Factor Demands Under Rational Expectations," NBER Working Papers 1015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter R. Fallon & Robert E. B. Lucas, 1989.
"Job Security Regulations and the Dynamic Demand for Industrial Labor in India and Zimbabwe,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development
2, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Fallon, Peter R. & Lucas, Robert E. B., 1993. "Job security regulations and the dynamic demand for industrial labor in India and Zimbabwe," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 241-275, April.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1998. "Relative performance of public and private ownership under yardstick competition: electricity retail distribution," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 97-122, January.
- Heshmati, Almas & Ncube, Mkhululi, 1998. "A Flexible Adjustment Model of Employment with Application to Zimbabwe's Manufacturing Industries," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 278, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 15 Aug 2003.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Griffin, James M., 1997. "Pooled estimators vs. their heterogeneous counterparts in the context of dynamic demand for gasoline," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 303-327, April.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1995. "Labour-Use Efficiency in Swedish Social Insurance Offices," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 33-47, Jan.-Marc.
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2003.
"The Optimality And Overuse Of Labour In Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises,"
University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series
20, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2004. "The optimality and overuse of labour in Estonian manufacturing enterprises," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(4), pages 683-720, December.
- Masso, Jaan & Heshmati, Almas, 2003. "The Optimality and Overuse of Labour in Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises," IZA Discussion Papers 884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Shabbar Jaffry & Yaseen Ghulam & Joe Cox, 2006. "Impact of Regulatory Reforms on Labour Efficiency in the Indian and Pakistani Commercial Banks," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 45(4), pages 1085-1102.
- Jaffry, Shabbar & Ghulam, Yaseen & Cox, Joe, 2008. "Labour use efficiency in the Indian and Pakistani commercial banks," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 259-293, June.
- Mollick, André Varella, 2009. "Employment Responses of Skilled and Unskilled Workers at Mexican Maquiladoras: The Effects of External Factors," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1285-1296, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.