On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms: Further Evidence
AbstractThe paper examines the use of free trade agreements (FTAs) by Japanese firms. The FTAs analyzed include Japans FTAs with Mexico, Malaysia and Chile. Based on 1,688 responses to a questionnaire survey conducted in 2008, the study finds that the utilization rate of FTAs ranges between 32.9% (Japan-Mexico FTA) and 12.2% (Japan-Malaysia FTA). The survey results and the statistical analysis of the determinants of the use of FTAs reveal obstacles to using FTAs that include difficulty in obtaining the certificate of origin that is required to use the FTA, lack of knowledge of FTAs, and the small FTA tariff preference that is the difference between the most-favored-nation (MFN) and FTA tariff rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Business and Politics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
Other versions of this item:
- TAKAHASHI Katsuhide & URATA Shujiro, 2009. "On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms: Further evidence," Discussion papers 09028, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Abadie & David Drukker & Jane Leber Herr & Guido W. Imbens, 2004. "Implementing matching estimators for average treatment effects in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 290-311, September.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen J. Trejo, 1997.
"The Demand for Hours of Labor: Direct Evidence from California,"
NBER Working Papers
5973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen J. Trejo, 2000. "The Demand for Hours of Labor: Direct Evidence from California," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 38-47, February.
- Trejo, Stephen J, 1991. "The Effects of Overtime Pay Regulation on Worker Compensation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 719-40, September.
- David N. F. Bell & Robert A. Hart, 2003. "Wages, hours, and overtime premia: Evidence from the British labor market," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(3), pages 470-480, April.
- Trejo, Stephen J, 1993. "Overtime Pay, Overtime Hours, and Labor Unions," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 253-78, April.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2012. "Does the use of multiple FTAs force firms to raise local input share? : evidence of the spaghetti bowl phenomenon," IDE Discussion Papers 364, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- John Ravenhill, 2011. "Political economy of multilateralization in Asia," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT, in: Trade-led growth: A sound strategy for Asia, chapter 7 United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2012. "Firms' use of FTA schemes in exporting and importing : is there a two-way relationship?," IDE Discussion Papers 363, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- ANDO Mitsuyo & URATA Shujiro, 2011. "Impacts of the Japan-Mexico EPA on Bilateral Trade," Discussion papers 11020, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Shujiro URATA & Misa OKABE, 2013. "The Impact of AFTA on Intra-AFTA Trade," Working Papers DP-2013-05, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu & Hiratsuka, Daisuke & Shiino, Kohei & Sukegawa, Seiya, 2009. "Who Uses FTAs?," IDE Discussion Papers 207, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.