The Demand for Seafood Eco-Labels in France
AbstractThe French fishing industry has a long history and its seafood market a wide variety of products. Despite the worldwide growth in ecolabelling schemes over the past decade, the French industry has only very recently shown an interest in such schemes. Growing consumer and retailer awareness of environmental issues in France has changed the situation and it is now of interest to look at the demand for seafood ecolabelling in relation to the public perception of commercial fishing.We analyse, using an ordered Probit model, the factors influencing consumer demand for seafood ecolabelling on the basis of a French survey carried out on more than 1000 consumers. Our results show a significant relationship between the acceptability of ecolabelling and certain purchase criteria. The production process characteristics in (origin, wild vs. farmed, level of natural stocks) impact more strongly on the demand for ecolabelling than product attributes (form, visual appeal, freshness). Consumers are also influenced more by regulation than by information, inaccurate or otherwise, they may have about the fishing industry. Finally, our analysis confirms a higher demand for ecolabelling from young, educated consumers, particularly those living in non-coastal areas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 8 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Frédéric Salladarré & Patrice Guillotreau & Claire-Marine Lesage & Pierrick Ollivier, 2013.
"Les préférences des consommateurs pour un écolabel. Le cas des produits de la mer en France,"
- Frédéric Salladarré & Patrice Guillotreau & Claire-Marine Lesage & Pierrick Ollivier, 2013. "Les préférences des consommateurs pour un écolabel. Le cas des produits de la mer en France," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 94(3), pages 369-363.
- Salladarré, Frédéric & Guillotreau, Patrice & Lesage, Claire-Marine & Ollivier, Pierrick, 2013. "Les préférences des consommateurs pour un écolabel. Le cas des produits de la mer en France," Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, Editions NecPlus, vol. 94(03), pages 339-363, September.
- Salladarré, Frédéric & Guillotreau, Patrice & Lesage, Claire-Marine & Ollivier, Pierrick, 2013. "Les préférences des consommateurs pour un écolabel. Le cas des produits de la mer en France," Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, Editions NecPlus, vol. 2013(03), pages 339-363, September.
- Uchida, Hirotsugu & Onozaka, Yuko & Morita, Tamaki & Managi, Shunsuke, 2014. "Demand for ecolabeled seafood in the Japanese market: A conjoint analysis of the impact of information and interaction with other labels," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 68-76.
- Dorothée Brécard & Sterenn Lucas & Nathalie Pichot & Frédéric Salladarré, 2011. "Consumer Preferences for Eco, Health and Fair Trade Labels. An Application to Seafood Product in France," Working Papers hal-00593744, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.