Does a Rising Biofuels Tide Raise All Boats? A Study of Cash Rent Determinants for Iowa Farmland under Hay and Pasture
AbstractIowa's farmland consists of over 16% hay crops and pastureland, a significant portion of which is under cash rental contracts. This study investigates the comparative relationships between cash rental rates for cropped land and non-cropped land, where the latter includes hay and pastureland. We find that higher crop prices resulting from biofuel demand induces land use conversion from non-cropped land to crop production and thus bids up non-cropped land rents. Compared with changes in cropped land cash rents, non-cropped farmland rents could increase by a higher percentage. Non-cropped land cash rental rates are largely determined by crop and feeder cattle prices, population density, soil quality, and proportion of non-cropped land in a specific area. A primary effect of ethanol subsidies is the redistribution of income between corn growers and livestock producers, whereby higher livestock feed costs together with increasing hay and pastureland cash rents harm the dairy and feedlot beef sectors. Our study shows that, because of the positive effect on rents, the policies have an indeterminate effect on landowners operating in the cow-calf sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
Other versions of this item:
- Xiaodong Du & David A. Hennessy & William M. Edwards, 2008. "Does a Rising Biofuels Tide Raise All Boats? A Study of Cash Rent Determinants for Iowa Farmland under Hay and Pasture," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp479, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katchova, Ani L., 2011. "Are Local Corn Prices Affected by the Location of Ethanol Biorefineries?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114769, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.