Price Rigidity in the German Grocery-Retailing Sector: Scanner-Data Evidence on Magnitude and Causes
AbstractThe theoretical and empirical macroeconomic literature suggests that price rigidity in industrialized countries is substantial and its causes are manifold. This article provides empirical evidence on the importance of price rigidity in the grocery-retailing sector and on the role of some major determinants of food price rigidity. The analysis is based on a comprehensive weekly dataset of 20 branded foods in German food stores. The statistical analysis shows that food price rigidity is strong in spite of the widespread use of retail sales. Moreover, the importance of psychological pricing in grocery retailing is overwhelming. Econometric results indicate that food prices get more sticky as the number of price actions declines and as psychological pricing becomes more concentrated on a few important price barriers. Firms pricing strategies are crucial for food price rigidity, too.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 3 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1986.
"The Rigidity of Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 637-58, September.
- Herrmann, Roland & Möser, Anke, 2003.
"Price variability or rigidity in the food-retailing sector? Theoretical analysis and evidence from German scanner data,"
11, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Herrmann, Roland & Moser, Anke, 2003. "Price Variability Or Rigidity In The Food-Retailing Sector? Theoretical Analysis And Evidence From German Scanner Data," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25867, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kashyap, Anil K, 1995.
"Sticky Prices: New Evidence from Retail Catalogs,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(1), pages 245-74, February.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 1991. "Sticky prices: new evidence from retail catalogs," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Anil K Kashyap, 1994. "Sticky Prices: New Evidence from Retail Catalogs," NBER Working Papers 4855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 1990. "Sticky prices: new evidence from retail catalogs," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 112, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Conlisk, John & Gerstner, Eitan & Sobel, Joel, 1984. "Cyclic Pricing by a Durable Goods Monopolist," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 99(3), pages 489-505, August.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2004.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(5), pages 947-985, October.
- Elizabeth Powers & Nicholas Powers, 2001. "The Size and Frequency of Price Changes: Evidence from Grocery Stores," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 397-416, June.
- Levy, Daniel, et al, 1997.
"The Magnitude of Menu Costs: Direct Evidence from Large U.S. Supermarket Chains,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 791-825, August.
- Daniel Levy & Mark Bergen & Shantanu Dutta & Robert Venable, 2005. "The Magnitude of Menu Costs: Direct Evidence from Large U.S. Supermarket Chains," Macroeconomics 0505012, EconWPA.
- Daniel Levy & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen & Robert Venable, 1998.
"Price adjustment at multiproduct retailers,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 81-120.
- Ward, Michael B. & Shimshack, Jay P. & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Harris, J. Michael, 2002.
"Effects of the private-label invasion in food industries,"
22186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael B. Ward & Jay P. Shimshack & Jeffrey M. Perloff & J. Michael Harris, 2002. "Effects of the Private-Label Invasion in Food Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 961-973.
- Owen, Ann & Trzepacz, David, 2002. "Menu costs, firm strategy, and price rigidity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 345-349, August.
- Bergès-Sennou Fabian & Bontems Philippe & Réquillart Vincent, 2004. "Economics of Private Labels: A Survey of Literature," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Schindler, Robert M & Kirby, Patrick N, 1997. " Patterns of Rightmost Digits Used in Advertised Prices: Implications for Nine-Ending Effects," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 192-201, September.
- Daniel Hosken & David Reiffen, 2001. "Multiproduct retailers and the sale phenomenon," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 115-137.
- Stiving, Mark & Winer, Russell S, 1997. " An Empirical Analysis of Price Endings with Scanner Data," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(1), pages 57-67, June.
- Weber, Sascha A. & Anders, Sven, 2007.
"Price Rigidity and Market Power in German Retailing,"
31, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Sascha A. Weber & Sven M. Anders, 2007. "Price rigidity and market power in German retailing," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 737-749.
- Weber, Sascha A. & Anders, Sven, 2005. "Price Rigidity and Market Power in German Retailing," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24721, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Moeser, Anke, 2011. "Coupon, Bogof, Linksave oder Rabatt? Akzeptanz neuer Verkaufsförderungsaktionen des Lebensmitteleinzelhandels," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114499, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Herrmann, Roland & Möser, Anke & Weber, Sascha A., 2009. "Grocery retailing in Germany: Situation, development and pricing strategies," Discussion Papers 41, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Herrmann, Roland & Moeser, Anke, 2005. "Psychological Prices and Price Rigidity in Grocery Retailing: Analysis of German Scanner Data," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19471, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Herrmann, Roland & Anders, Sven & Thompson, Stanley R., 2005. "ÃœbermÃ¤ÃŸige Werbung und Marktsegmentierung durch staatliche FÃ¶rderung der Regionalvermarktung: Eine theoretische Analyse," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 54(3).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.