Finance Causes Growth: Can We Be So Sure?
AbstractIn recent years, a number of studies have found in favour of a causal link between finance and growth. This paper examines the empirical foundations of such studies, performing some additional econometric tests using the datasets and methodologies of Rajan and Zingales (1998a) and Levine and Zervos (1998). First, we consider the stability of published results across countries at different stages in their economic development, re-estimating Rajan and Zingales specification to allow separate coefficients for OECD and non-OECD member countries. We find that finance has a greater impact upon growth in non-OECD countries, with bank finance of particular importance. Second, we explore the issue of identification, concluding that it is difficult to disentangle the effect of financial development from that of other correlated factors. In particular, we show that the results of these authors depend heavily on the strong performance of the Tiger economies during the 1980s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics.
Volume (Year): 3 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ramírez, Carlos D., 2009. "Bank fragility, "money under the mattress", and long-run growth: US evidence from the "perfect" Panic of 1893," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2185-2198, December.
- Andrea Vaona, 2006.
"Regional Evidence on the Finance - Growth Nexus,"
Kiel Working Papers
1285, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Francesco Aiello & Camilla Mastromarco & Angelo Zago, 2008.
"Be productive or face decline. On the sources and determinants of output growth in Italian manufacturing firms,"
46/2008, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Francesco Aiello & Camilla Mastromarco & Angelo Zago, 2011. "Be productive or face decline. On the sources and determinants of output growth in Italian manufacturing firms," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 787-815, December.
- Peter L. Rousseau & Paul Wachtel, 2011.
"What Is Happening To The Impact Of Financial Deepening On Economic Growth?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(1), pages 276-288, 01.
- Paul Wachtel & Peter L. Rousseau, 2006. "What is happening to the impact of financial deepening on economic growth?," Working Papers 06-15, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Peter L. Rousseau & Paul Wachtel, 2009. "What is Happening to the Impact of Financial Deepening on Economic Growth?," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0915, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Alex Trew, 2007.
"Efficiency, Depth and Growth: Quantitative Implications of Finance and Growth Theory,"
CDMA Working Paper Series
200712, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Trew, Alex, 2008. "Efficiency, depth and growth: Quantitative implications of finance and growth theory," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1550-1568, December.
- Kar, Muhsin & NazlIoglu, Saban & AgIr, Hüseyin, 2011. "Financial development and economic growth nexus in the MENA countries: Bootstrap panel granger causality analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 685-693, January.
- Paul Wachtel & Peter L. Rousseau, 2010.
"Economic Growth and Financial Depth: Is the Relationship Extinct Already?,"
- Rousseau, Peter L. & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Economic Growth and Financial Depth: Is the Relationship Extinct Already?," Working Paper Series DP2005/10, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Peter L. Rousseau & Paul Wachtel, 2005. "Economic Growth and Financial Depth: Is the Relationship Extinct Already?," Working Papers 05-15, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Ross H. McLeod, 2005.
"Indonesia's New Deposit Guarantee Law,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-08, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2008. "An investigation on the causal relationships between banking concentration and economic growth," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 557-570, June.
- Max Gillman & Mark N Harris & Michal Kejak, 2007. "The Interaction of Inflation and Financial Development with Endogenous Growth," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 29, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.