Investigating Exchange Rate Exposure of Bank Shares: Empirical Evidence From ISE
AbstractIn this study, exchange rate exposure of Turkish banks and the reasons of this exposure are investigated. In this manner, data of 11 banks whose shares are traded in Istanbul Stock Exchange for the time period that spans from July of 1999 to June of 2009 are used. Regression models that are developed by adding Exchange rate factor to capital asset pricing model and Fama-French Three Factor Model are employed. Analysis results suggest that exchange rate risk is significant for two banks. On the other hand, exchange rate risk seems to impact Turkish banks at different levels. The two banks that are found to be affected by exchange rate risk appear to be smaller and tend to use fewer derivatives when they are compared with other banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Research and Business Development Department, Borsa Istanbul in its journal Istanbul Stock Exchange Review.
Volume (Year): 12 (2010)
Issue (Month): 46 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Reşitpaşa mh. Tuncay Artun Cd. Emirgan, 34467 İstanbul
Phone: (90 212) 298 2100
Fax: (90 212) 298 2189
Web page: http://www.borsaistanbul.com
More information through EDIRC
Exchange rate exposure; bank shares; derivatives.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jongmoo Jay Choi, 1986. "A Model of Firm Valuation With Exchange Exposure," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(2), pages 153-160, June.
- George Allayannis & Jane Ihrig & James P. Weston, 2001. "Exchange-Rate Hedging: Financial versus Operational Strategies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 391-395, May.
- Allayannis, George & Ofek, Eli, 2001. "Exchange rate exposure, hedging, and the use of foreign currency derivatives," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 273-296, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ahmet Palu).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.