Determinants of bank interest rates and comparisons between Greece and the euro area
AbstractDespite their significant decline in recent years, bank interest rates in Greece continue to stand above euro area averages and in the case of some banking products the differential is considerable. This paper reviews the literature on the determinants of bank interest rates and spreads internationally, and identifies and discusses the key factors that may explain the differentials between Greek and euro area rates. Although these factors are to some extent related to inherent characteristics of the domestic banking system, they can be affected by appropriate policy measures that will support the further convergence of Greek rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department in its journal Economic Bulletin.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 28 (February)
interest rate spreads;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Papaspyrou Theodoros, 2012. "EMU sustainability and the prospects of peripheral economies," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 36, pages 7-29, April.
- Theodoros Mitrakos & Panos Tsaklogou & Ioannis Cholezas, 2010. "Determinants of the wage rates in Greece with an emphasis on the wages of tertiary education graduates," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 34, pages 7-40, September.
- Costas N. Kanellopoulos, 2012. "Employment and worker flows during the financial crisis," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 36, pages 31-41, April.
- Heather Gibson & hiona Balfousia, 2010. "The impact of nominal and real uncertainty on macroeconomic aggregates in Greece," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 34, pages 57-71, September.
- Faidon Kalfaoglou, 2012. "Bank capital adequacy framework," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 36, pages 43-81, April.
- Zacharias Bragoudakis & Stelios Panagiotou, 2010. "Determinants of the receipts from shipping services: the case of Greece," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 34, pages 41-55, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.