The redistributional impact of inflation in Greece
AbstractInflation is often assumed to affect all people in the same way. However, differences in spending patterns across households and differences in price changes across goods and services lead to a different inflation rate for each household. In this paper, we estimate inflation rates for various population groups in Greece during the period 1999-2004 as well as the causes of differences between them. Our results suggest that these differences are considerable and the most of them can be traced to changes in the relative prices of food & non-alcoholic beverages, housing, and alcoholic beverages & tobacco. We find that socially-sensitive population groups such as pensioners, the unemployed, the economically weak and more generally individuals facing a relatively high risk of poverty suffer disproportionately from inflation. Moreover, the distributional impact of price changes seems to have a negative effect on various inequality and poverty indices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department in its journal Economic Bulletin.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): 24 (January)
inflation; income redistribution; inequality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1991. "Ordinal and cardinal utility : An integration of the two dimensions of the welfare concept," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 69-89, October.
- Sideris, Dimitrios, 2006.
"Testing for long-run PPP in a system context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 143-154, April.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2004. "Testing for Long-Run PPP in a System Context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan," Working Papers 19, Bank of Greece.
- Zacharias Bragoudakis & Dimitrios Sideris, 2012. "Do retail gasoline prices adjust symmetrically to crude oil price changes? the case of the Greek oil market," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 37, pages 7-21, December.
- Theodoros M. Mitrakos & George T. Simigiannis, 2009. "The determinants of Greek household indebtedness and financial stress," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 32, pages 7-26, May.
- Taun N. Toay & Theodore Pelagidis, 2006.
"Expensive Living: The Greek Experience under the Euro,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_484, Levy Economics Institute.
- Theodore Pelagidis & Taun Toay, 2007. "Expensive Living: The Greek Experience under the Euro," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 167-176, May.
- Costas N. Kanellopoulos, 2012. "Employment and worker flows during the financial crisis," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 36, pages 31-41, April.
- Christos Papazoglou, 2009. "Is Greece's export performance really low?," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 32, pages 27-37, May.
- Petros M. Migiakis, 2012. "Reviewing the proposals for common bond issuances by the euro-area sovereign under a long-term perspective," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 37, pages 43-54, December.
- Nikos G. Zonzilos & Zacharias G. Bragoudakis & Georgia I. Pavlou, 2009. "An analysis of the reliability of first (flash) quarterly national account data releases for Greece," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 32, pages 39-51, May.
- Costas N. Kanellopoulos, 2012. "The Size and structure of uninsured employment," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 37, pages 23-41, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.