Offshoring and Firm Performance: Evidence from French Manufacturing Industry
AbstractAbstract This paper examines the implications of offshoring by French manufacturing firms on their productivity and profitability. Offshoring is considered as endogenous and its impact is estimated on ex post measures of firm performance. The dataset used allows the distinction between two forms of offshoring: vertical foreign direct investment (FDI) and international outsourcing. It also gives us the possibility of distinguishing between offshoring to developed and developing countries. The results show, first, that offshoring has a stronger effect on profitability and, second, that the implications on performance are significant only in the case of international outsourcing to developing countries. Copyright 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal World Economy.
Volume (Year): 33 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dachs, Bernhard & Ebersberger, Bernd & Kinkel, Steffen & Som, Oliver, 2014.
"The effects of production offshoring on R&D and innovation in the home country,"
Discussion Papers "Innovation Systems and Policy Analysis"
39, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Bernhard Dachs & Bernd Ebersberger, 2013. "The Effects of Production Offshoring on R&D and Innovation in the Home Country," FIW Research Reports series V-001, FIW.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011.
"Offshoring and firm performance: self-selection, effects on performance, or both?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 147(2), pages 217-247, June.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Offshoring and Firm Performance: Self-Selection, Effects on Performance, or Both?," IZA Discussion Papers 4605, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Offshoring and firm performance: Self-selection, effects on performance, or both?," Working Paper Series in Economics 153, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Giuliano CONTI & Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2012. "Rethinking the import-productivity nexus for Italian manufacturing," Working Papers 381, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Alessia Lo Turco & Daniela Maggioni, 2013.
"On the Role of Imports in Enhancing Manufacturing Exports,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 93-120, 01.
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2011. "On the Role of Imports in Enhancing Manufacturing Exports," Working Papers 363, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Martin Borowiecki & Bernhard Dachs & Doris Hanzl-Weiss & Steffen Kinkel & Johannes Pöschl & Magdolna Sass & Thomas Christian Schmall & Robert Stehrer & Andrea Szalavetz, 2012. "Global Value Chains and the EU Industry," wiiw Research Reports 383, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Neil Foster-McGregor & Anders Isaksson & Florian Kaulich, 2013. "Importing, Productivity and Absorptive Capacity in Sub-Saharan African Manufacturing Firms," wiiw Working Papers 105, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Andrea F. Presbitero & Matteo G. Richiardi & Alessia Amighini, 2012.
"Is labor flexibility a substitute to offshoring? Evidence from Italian manafacturing,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
122, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Matteo G. Richiardi & Alessia Amighini, 2012. "Is labor flexibility a substitute to offshoring? Evidence from Italian manafacturing," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 72, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Angels Pelegrín & José García-Quevedo, 2012. "Which firms are involved in foreign vertical integration?," Working Papers 2012/38, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.