Method-of-moment view of linear simultaneous equation systems
AbstractIn this paper, we review the modern method-of-moment-based approaches to identification and estimation of linear simultaneous equation systems. First, we present the rank condition for the structural form (SF) parameter identification. The rank condition comes naturally and is much easier to understand than that in the conventional reduced-form-based indirect approach. Then, we show how to estimate all SF parameters jointly (in a single step) with method-of-moment estimators. As it turns out, using only unconditional moments, but not any conditional moments, greatly simplifies the identification and estimation issues, and makes light work of conveying the essential ideas involved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research in its journal Statistica Neerlandica.
Volume (Year): 62 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0039-0402
Other versions of this item:
- Myoung-jae Lee, 2007. "Method-of-Moment View of Linear Simultaneous Equation Systems," Discussion Paper Series 0719, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Myoung-Jae Lee & Ayal Kimhi, 2005. "Simultaneous equations in ordered discrete responses with regressor-dependent thresholds," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 176-196, 07.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Myoung-jae Lee & Pao-Li Chang, 2007. "Avoiding arbitrary exclusion restrictions using ratios of reduced-form estimates," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 339-357, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.