A Tale of Two Seasons: Participation and Medal Counts at the Summer and Winter Olympic Games
AbstractThis article examines all postwar Summer and Winter Olympic Games in order to investigate the economic and political determinants of participation and medal-winning success. Copyright (c) 2004 by the Southwestern Social Science Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southwestern Social Science Association in its journal Social Science Quarterly.
Volume (Year): 85 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0038-4941
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wladimir Andreff, 2012. "Is Hosting the Games Enough to Win? A predictive economic model of medal wins at 2014 Winter Olympics," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00794057, HAL.
- Madeleine Andreff & Wladimir Andreff, 2011. "Economic Prediction of Medal Wins at the 2014 Winter Olympics," Ekonomika a Management, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2011(2).
- Glen Roberts, 2006. "Accounting for Achievement in Athens: A Count Data Analysis of National Olympic Performance," Econometrics Working Papers 0602, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Peter Macmillan & Ian Smith, 2007.
"Explaining International Soccer Rankings,"
Journal of Sports Economics,
, vol. 8(2), pages 202-213, May.
- Contreras, Jose L. & Corvalan, Alejandro, 2014. "Olympic Games: No legacy for sports," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 268-271.
- L.F.M. Groot, 2008.
"The Contest for Olympic Succes as a Public Good,"
08-34, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Kavetsos, Georgios & Szymanski, Stefan, 2010.
"National well-being and international sports events,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 158-171, April.
- Georgios Kavetsos & Stefan Szymanski, 2008. "National Wellbeing and International Sports Events," Working Papers 0804, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Madeleine Andreff & Wladimir Andreff, 2011. "Economic Prediction of Medal Wins at the 2014 Winter Olympics," Working Papers 1116, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Vagenas, George & Vlachokyriakou, Eleni, 2012. "Olympic medals and demo-economic factors: Novel predictors, the ex-host effect, the exact role of team size, and the “population-GDP” model revisited," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-217.
- repec:use:tkiwps:0713 is not listed on IDEAS
- Madeleine Andreff & Wladimir Andreff & Sandrine Poupaux, 2008. "Les Determinants Economiques de la Performance Olympique," Working Papers 0819, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Kuper, Gerard H. & Sterken, Elmer, 2012. "Participation and Performance at the London 2012 Olympics," Research Report 12006-EEF, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Wladimir Andreff, 2013. "Economic development as major determinant of Olympic medal wins: predicting performances of Russian and Chinese teams at Sochi Games," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00971788, HAL.
- Henseke, Golo, 2009. "Country performance at the International Mathematical Olympiad," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 108, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- John Manuel Luiz & Riyas Fadal, 2011.
"An economic analysis of sports performance in Africa,"
International Journal of Social Economics,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(10), pages 869-883, August.
- John Luiz & Riyas Fadal, 2010. "An Economic Analysis of Sports Performance in Africa," Working Papers 162, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Pfau, Wade Donald, 2006. "Predicting the Medal Wins by Country at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games: An Econometrics Approach," MPRA Paper 18829, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Pierdzioch & Eike Emrich, 2013. "A Note on Corruption and National Olympic Success," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 41(4), pages 405-411, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.