The Role Of House Prices In The Monetary Transmission Mechanism Across European Countries
AbstractThis paper provides a discussion of the 'housing market' channels of the monetary transmission mechanism and offers some evidence of institutional differences in the European housing and mortgage markets. Using a number of Vector Autoregressive models, estimated individually for nine European countries over the pre-EMU period, we find that house prices are significantly affected by interest rate shocks. The relative role of these interest-rate-induced fluctuations in house prices for private consumption is then investigated. We show that house prices may enhance the effects of interest rate shocks on consumer spending in those economies where housing and mortgage markets are relatively more developed and competitive. Copyright (c) Scottish Economic Society 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Scottish Economic Society in its journal Scottish Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 52 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Setzer, Ralph & van den Noord, Paul & Wolff, Guntram B., 2010.
"Heterogeneity in money holdings across euro area countries: The role of housing,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2010,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Setzer, Ralph & van den Noord, Paul & Wolff, Guntram B., 2011. "Heterogeneity in money holdings across euro area countries: The role of housing," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 764-780.
- Ralph Setzer & Paul van den Noord & Guntram B. Wolff, 2010. "Heterogeneity in money holdings across euro area countries: the role of housing," European Economy - Economic Papers 407, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Seema Narayan, 2011.
"The importance of real and nominal shocks on the UK housing market,"
Financial Econometics Series
2011_05, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Seema Narayan & Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2011. "The Importance of Real and Nominal Shocks on the UK Housing Market," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 10(3), pages 219-234, December.
- Tse, Chin-Bun & Rodgers, Timothy & Niklewski, Jacek, 2014. "The 2007 financial crisis and the UK residential housing market: Did the relationship between interest rates and house prices change?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 518-530.
- Belke, Ansgar & Gros, Daniel, 2007. "Instability of the Eurozone? On Monetary Policy, House Prices and Labor Market Reforms," IZA Discussion Papers 2547, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert S. Chirinko & Leo de Haan & Elmer Sterken, 2004.
"Asset Price Shocks, Real Expenditures, and Financial Structure: A Multi-Country Analysis,"
DNB Working Papers
014, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Chirinko, Robert S. & Haan, Leo de & Sterken, Elmer, 2004. "Asset Price Shocks, Real Expenditures, and Financial Structure:A Multi-Country Analysis," CCSO Working Papers 200411, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Robert S. Chirinko & Leo de Haan & Elmer Sterken, 2008. "Asset Price Shocks, Real Expenditures, and Financial Structure: A Multi-Country Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2342, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kuang-Liang Chang & Ming-Hui Yen, 2014. "The magnitude and significance of macroeconomic variables in explaining regional housing fluctuations," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(2), pages 828-841.
- Olfa Kaabia & Ilyes Abid, 2012. "Theoretical Channels of International,Transmission During the Subprime Crisis to OCDE Countries : A FAVAR Model Under Bayesian Framework," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-40, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Guarda, Paolo & Jeanfils, Philippe, 2012.
"Macro-Financial Linkages: evidence from country-specific VARs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8875, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paolo Guarda & Philippe Jeanfils, 2012. "Macro-financial linkages: Evidence from country-specific VARs," BCL working papers 71, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Stephanos Papadamou & Costas Siriopoulos, 2012. "Banks’ lending behavior and monetary policy: evidence from Sweden," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 131-148, February.
- Christian Pierdzioch, 2012. "Macroeconomic Factors and the German Real Estate Market: A Stock-Market-Based Forecasting Experiment," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 2, pages 87-96, May.
- Chang, Kuang-Liang, 2010. "House price dynamics, conditional higher-order moments, and density forecasts," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1029-1039, September.
- Michael Haliassos & Pany Karamanou & Constantinos Ktoris & George Syrichas, 2008. "Mortgage Debt, Social Customs,and Financial Innovation," Working Papers 2008-2, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Christian Dreger & Jürgen Wolters, 2009. "Liquidity and Asset Prices: How Strong Are the Linkages?," Working Paper / FINESS 7.4A, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Jacobsen, Dag Henning, 2010.
"The role of house prices in the monetary policy transmission mechanism in small open economies,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 218-229, December.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland & Dag Henning Jacobsen, 2009. "The role of house prices in the monetary policy transmission mechanism in small open economies," Working Paper 2009/06, Norges Bank.
- Beatrice D. Simo-Kengne & Rangan Gupta & Goodness C. Aye, 2013. "Macro Shocks And House Prices In South Africa," Working Papers 201302, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Chang, Kuang-Liang, 2011. "The nonlinear effects of expected and unexpected components of monetary policy on the dynamics of REIT returns," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 911-920, May.
- Voigtländer, Michael, 2012. "The Stability of the German Housing Market," MPRA Paper 43315, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Belke, Ansgar & Orth, Walter & Setzer, Ralph, 2008. "Liquidity and the dynamic pattern of price adjustment: a global view," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2008,25, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.