Exploring the Determinants of Unhappiness for Ethnic Minority Men in Britain
AbstractThis paper explores the determinants of unhappiness for ethnic minority men living in Britain, and compares these findings with those for White males. Data is drawn from the Fourth National Survey of Ethnic Minorities conducted in 1994, which has the advantage of over-sampling members of Britain's ethnic minority population. Using this unique data source we are able to provide some of the first evidence of the psychological impact of unemployment, low levels of household income, residing in an ethnic enclave and living in fear of racial harassment for Black Caribbean and South Asian men. Copyright 2002 by Scottish Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Scottish Economic Society in its journal Scottish Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 49 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields & John P. Haisken-DeNew, 2004.
"The value of reunification in Germany; An analysis of changes in life satisfaction?,"
Paul Frijters Discussion Papers
2004-6, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Paul Frijters & John P. Haisken-DeNew & Michale A. Shields, 2001. "The Value of Reunification in Germany: An Analysis of Changes in Life Satisfaction," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 828, The University of Melbourne.
- Shields, Michael & Paul Frijters & John P Haisken-DeNew, 2003. "The Value of Reunification in Germany: An Analysis of Changes in Life Satisfaction," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 186, Royal Economic Society.
- Frijters, Paul & Haisken-DeNew, John P. & Shields, Michael A., 2002. "The Value of Reunification in Germany: An Analysis of Changes in Life Satisfaction," IZA Discussion Papers 419, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lucinda Platt & Gundi Knies & Alita Nandi, 2014. "Life Satisfaction, Ethnicity and Neighbourhoods: Is There an Effect of Neighbourhood Ethnic Composition on Life Satisfaction?," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1407, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Mike Shields & Mark Wooden, 2003.
"Investigating the Role of Neighbourhood Characteristics in Determining Life Satisfaction,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2003n24, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Robert Drago & Mark Wooden & Yi-Ping Tseng, 2004. "Investigating the Role of Neighbourhood Characteristics in Determining Life Satisfaction," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2004n01, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Shields, Michael A. & Wheatley Price, Stephen, 2001. "Exploring the Economic and Social Determinants of Psychological and Psychosocial Health," IZA Discussion Papers 396, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul Frijters & John P. Haisken-DeNew & Michael A. Shields, 2004. "Money Does Matter! Evidence from Increasing Real Income and Life Satisfaction in East Germany Following Reunification," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 730-740, June.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2014-08 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rosa Duarte & José-Julián Escario & José-Alberto Molina, 2007. "Supporting the Endogenous Relationship Between Well-Being and Employment for US Individuals," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 35(3), pages 279-288, September.
- Johnston, David W. & Lordan, Grace, 2012. "Discrimination makes me sick! An examination of the discrimination–health relationship," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 99-111.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.