Biased Technical Change and the Malmquist Productivity Index
AbstractThe Malmquist (1953) productivity index has many attractive features. One is that it can be expressed as the product of a technical efficiency change index and a technical change index. In this paper, the authors express the technical change index as the product of a magnitude index and a bias index. They then express the bias index as the product of an output bias index and an input bias index, and they state conditions under which each bias index makes no contribution to productivity change. Coauthors are Emili Griffell-Tatje, Shawna Grosskopf, and C. A. Knox Lovell. Copyright 1997 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 99 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2011.
"The Hicks–Moorsteen Productivity Index Satisfies The Determinateness Axiom,"
University of Manchester, vol. 79(4), pages 765-775, 07.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2008. "The Hicks-Moorsteen Productivity Index Satisfies the Determinateness Axiom," Working Papers 2008-ECO-10, IESEG School of Management.
- Mette Asmild & Fai Tam, 2007. "Estimating global frontier shifts and global Malmquist indices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 137-148, April.
- Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2009. "Systematized and Path-independent Measurement of Biased Technical Change," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-11, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Pedro Cantos & José Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 1999. "Productivity, efficiency and technical change in the European railways: A non-parametric approach," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 337-357, November.
- Cuadras-Morató, Xavier & Castro, Ángel S. Fernández & Rosés, Joan R., 2002.
"Productividad, competencia e innovación en la banca privada española (1900–1914),"
Revista de Historia Económica,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 543-575, December.
- Xavier Cuadras & Ángel S. Fernández Castro & Joan R. Rosés, 2001. "Productividad, competencia e innovación en la banca privada española (1900-1914)," Economics Working Papers 530, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Christos Pantzios & Vangelis Tzouvelekas & Giannis Karagiannis, 2005.
"Parametric Decomposition of the Input-Oriented Malmquist Productivity Index: With an Application to Greek Aquaculture,"
0518, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Christos Pantzios & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2011. "Parametric decomposition of the input-oriented Malmquist productivity index: with an application to Greek aquaculture," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 21-31, August.
- Kumar, Surender, 2004. "Decomposition of total factor productivity growth: A regional analysis of Indian industrial manufacturing growth," Working Papers 04/22, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Walter Briec & Nicolas Peypoch, 2007. "Biased Technical Change and Parallel Neutrality," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 92(3), pages 281-292, December.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1998.
"- Human Capital In Oecd Countries: Technical Change, Efficency And Productivity,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1998-19, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Manuel Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2003. "Human capital in OECD countries: Technical change, efficiency and productivity," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 419-435.
- Shabbar Jaffry & Yaseen Ghulam & Sean Pascoe & Joe Cox, 2005.
"Regulatory Changes and Productivity of the Banking Sector in the Indian Sub-Continent,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 1021-1047.
- Jaffry, Shabbar & Ghulam, Yaseen & Pascoe, Sean & Cox, Joe, 2007. "Regulatory changes and productivity of the banking sector in the Indian sub-continent," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 415-438, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.