Transfer Pricing, Double Taxation, and the Cost of Capital
AbstractThe effects of double taxation are analyzed when a multinational enterprise can shift profits by transfer pricing behavior. It is shown that the well-known Hartman-Sinn neutrality result may not hold in this case. Surprisingly, an increase in the taxation of foreign dividends may lead to a lower cost of capital for the foreign subsidiary. Copyright 1996 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 98 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 1997. "Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 177-210, 04.
- Peter Egger & Wolfgang Eggert & Hannes Winner, 2007.
"Saving Taxes Through Foreign Plant Ownership,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1887, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jack Mintz, 2004.
"Conduit Entities: Implications of Indirect Tax-Efficient Financing Structures for Real Investment,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 419-434, 08.
- Jack M. Mintz, 2003. "Conduit Entities: Implications of Indirect Tax-Efficient Financing Structures for Real Investment," International Tax Program Papers 0410, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, revised Sep 2004.
- Lund, Diderik, 2002. "Rent taxation when cost monitoring is imperfect," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 211-228, June.
- Marcel Gérard, 2002. "Interjurisdictional Company Taxation in Europe, the German Reform and the New EU Suggested Direction," CESifo Working Paper Series 636, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012.
"Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
1214, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Stefan Lutz, 2013. "Effects of taxation on European multi-nationals’ financing and profits," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2013-04, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Annick Hespel & Michel Mignolet, 2000. "Tax-aided financial services companies and the cost of capital," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 21(3), pages 349-374, September.
- Alfons Weichenrieder, 1996. "Anti-tax-avoidance provisions and the size of foreign direct investment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 67-81, January.
- Matsui, Kenji, 2011. "Intrafirm trade, arm's-length transfer pricing rule, and coordination failure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(3), pages 570-582, August.
- Clemens Fuest & Bernd Huber & Jack Mintz, 2003. "Capital Mobility and Tax Competition: A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 956, CESifo Group Munich.
- Seppo Kari & Jouko Ylä-Liedenpohja, 2005. "Effects of an Equalization Tax on Multinational Investments and Transfer Pricing," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 61(1), pages 45-, March.
- Halvorsen, H.E. & Lund, D., 1998. "Rent Taxation when Cost Tranfers are Possible, but Costly," Memorandum 20/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas A. Gresik, 2001. "The Taxing Task of Taxing Transnationals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 800-838, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.