Efficiency Wages and Local Wage Bargaining
AbstractIn the literature on wage drift, it is often argued that strikes or work-to-rule practices are used to force employers to pay a wage rate that exceeds the contract wage. Here, the authors introduce the efficiency wage argument as a foundation for bargaining about wage drift. Contrary to the view in most bargaining models, where firms and unions struggle to divide a fixed pie, given employment, they take the relation between wages and revenues explicitly into account. The implications for wages and employment appear to differ not only with respect to the order of magnitude but also in a qualitative sense. Copyright 1996 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 98 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jung, Sven & Schnabel, Claus, 2009.
"Paying More than Necessary? The Wage Cushion in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4278, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sven Jung & Claus Schnabel, 2011. "Paying More than Necessary? The Wage Cushion in Germany," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 25(2), pages 182-197, 06.
- Jung, Sven & Schnabel, Claus, 2009. "Paying more than necessary? The wage cushion in Germany," Discussion Papers 63, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Paulo Bastos & Natália P. Monteiro & Odd Rune Straume, .
"Firm Heterogeneity and Wages in Unionised Labour Markets: Theory and Evidence,"
08/38, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Bastos, Paulo & Monteiro, Natália P. & Straume, Odd Rune, 2009. "Firm heterogeneity and wages in unionised labour markets: Theory and evidence," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 440-450, August.
- Paulo Bastos & Natália P. Monteiro & Odd Rune Straume, 2008. "Firm heterogeneity and wages in unionised labour markets: Theory and evidence," NIPE Working Papers 14/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Vesna Stavrevska, 2011. "The efficiency wages perspective to wage rigidity in the open economy: a survey," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 273-299, July.
- Frank Scharr, 2005. "Tarifbindung, Rententeilung und Konzessionsverträge als Einflussgrößen der Lohnhöhe in Unternehmen : eine Untersuchung mit Mikrodaten für thüringische Firmen," ifo Dresden Studien, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 39.
- Buscher, Herbert S., 2003. "Gibt es eine Lohnkurve in den neuen Bundesländern? (Is there a wage curve in eastern German?)," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 36(4), pages 461-475.
- Pull, Kerstin, 1996. "Übertarifliche Entlohnung : ein Ergebnis vorweggenommener Verhandlungen (Wages above the collectively agreed level: a result of anticipated negotiations)," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 29(4), pages 607-615.
- Tobias Kronenberg, 2008. "How does reciprocal behaviour of workers influence the wage setting of unions?," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 303-320, December.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:36:i:4:p:461-475 is not listed on IDEAS
- Antonio Garofalo & Concetto Paolo Vinci, 2001. "Employment Oriented Policies In A Trade Union Local Wage Bargaining Model," Working Papers 7_2001, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Pull, Kerstin, 1999. "What is the fair wage? A model of as-if-co-operation," Quint-Essenzen 58, Institute for Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Community (IAAEG), University of Trier.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:29:i:4:p:607-615 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.