Promoting Investment under International Capital Mobility: An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis
AbstractEfficiency and distributional effects of two investment-oriented policies, an investment tax credit and a reduction in the statutory corporate income tax rate, are compared using a disaggregated general equilibrium model that uniquely combines intertemporal decision-making and international capital mobility. The domestic welfare consequences of these policies depend not only on intertemporal and intersectoral efficiency effects but also on international transfer effects, which favor (in terms of domestic welfare) the investment tax credit over cuts in the corporate tax rate. Simulations reveal important differences between policies in the consequences for balance of payments accounts, the real exchange rate, and industrial structure. Copyright 1993 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 95 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
Other versions of this item:
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Goulder, L.H., 1993. "Promoting investment under international capital mobility: An intertemporal general equilibrium analysis," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152978, Tilburg University.
- A. Lans Bovenberg & Lawrence H. Goulder, 1989. "Promoting Investment under International Capital Mobility: An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis," NBER Working Papers 3139, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adler, Michael & Dumas, Bernard, 1983. " International Portfolio Choice and Corporation Finance: A Synthesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 925-84, June.
- Mussa, Michael, 1978. "Dynamic Adjustment in the Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 775-91, October.
- Bovenberg, A Lans, 1989.
"The Effects of Capital Income Taxation on International Competitiveness and Trade Flows,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1045-64, December.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1989. "The effects of capital income taxation on international competitiveness and trade flows," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152951, Tilburg University.
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1985.
"The Economic Effects of Dividend Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
1353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Darrell Duffie & William Zame, 1988.
"The Consumption-Based Capital Asset Pricing Model,"
88-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- James M. Poterba & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1986.
"Money in the Utility Function: An Empirical Implementation,"
NBER Working Papers
1796, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James M. Poterba & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1986. "Money in the Utility Function: An Empirical Implementation," Working papers 408, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Fair, Ray C & Taylor, John B, 1983.
"Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1169-85, July.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear RationalExpectations Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 564, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1981. "Taxation and Corporate Investment: A q-Theory Approach," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(1), pages 67-140.
- Jorgenson, Dale W & Yun, Kun-Young, 1986. " The Efficiency of Capital Allocation," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 85-107.
- Roger H. Gordon & James R. Hines, Jr. & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987.
"Notes on the Tax Treatment of Structures,"
in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 223-258
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1989. "Trade Policies for International Competitiveness," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feen89-1, octubre-d.
- AKITOBY, Bernardin, 1997. "Rigidité normale, dévaluation et équilibre général intertemporel," Cahiers de recherche 9708, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Brita Bye & Taran Fæhn & Tom-Reiel Heggedal, 2007. "Welfare and growth impacts of innovation policies in a small, open economy. An applied general equilibrium analysis," Discussion Papers 510, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Bye, Brita & Fæhn, Taran & Heggedal, Tom-Reiel, 2009. "Welfare and growth impacts of innovation policies in a small, open economy; an applied general equilibrium analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1075-1088, September.
- Jensen, Svend Erik Hougaard & Bo Nielsen, Soren & Pedersen, Lars Haagen & Sorensen, Peter Birch, 1996. "Tax policy, housing and the labour market: An intertemporal simulation approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 355-382, July.
- Klepper, Gernot & Lorz, Jens Oliver & Stähler, Frank & Thiele, Rainer & Wiebelt, Manfred, 1993. "Empirische allgemeine Gleichgewichts-Modelle: Struktur und Anwendungsmöglichkeiten," Kiel Working Papers 595, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bye, Brita & Avitsland, Turid, 2003. "The welfare effects of housing taxation in a distorted economy: a general equilibrium analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 895-921, September.
- Bettendorf, Leon, 1998. "Investment-Promoting Policies in the Presence of International Interactions," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 715-740, December.
- Valkonen, Tarmo, 2000. "Shifting the tax burden from labour to capital in general equilibrium," Discussion Papers 702, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Klundert, T.C.M.J. van de, 1990. "Crowding out and the wealth of nations," Discussion Paper 1990-29, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1992.
"Residence- and source-based taxation of capital income in an overlapping generations model,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152976, Tilburg University.
- A. Lans Bovenberg, 1992. "Residence-and source-based taxation of capital income in an overlapping generations model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 56(3), pages 267-295, October.
- Philippe THALMANN & Lawrence H. GOULDER & François DELORME, 1994.
"Assessing the International Spillover Effects of Capital Income Taxation,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9411, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Philippe Thalmann & Lawrence Goulder & François Delorme, 1996. "Assessing the international spillover effects of capital income taxation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 449-478, October.
- Willenbockel, Dirk, 1999. "Dynamic applied general equilibrium trade policy analysis in the presence of foreign asset cross-ownership," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 371-388, August.
- Brita Bye & Turid Åvitsland, 2001. "The welfare effects of housing taxation in a distorted economy: A general equilibrium analysis," Discussion Papers 306, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.