Debt Restructuring with a Public Good
AbstractEndogenous government expenditure is introduced into Lucas and Stokey's (1983) model of optimal wage taxation. So long as the government can precommit to taxes or to expenditures, a debt maturity structure that keeps the value of the debt invariant to interest rate changes will make the optimal policies time- consistent. In the absence of partial precommitment, debt restructuring cannot enforce time-consistency, but it can still limit the costs of time-inconsistency. Numerical examples show (1) average debt is smaller than under the precommitment solution; (2) the debt structure is much larger than under partial precommitment; and (3) restricting the government to one-period debt overstates the welfare losses from time-inconsistency. Copyright 1989 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 91 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chari V. V. & Kehoe Patrick J., 1993.
"Sustainable Plans and Debt,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 230-261, December.
- Davide Debortoli & Ricardo Nunes, 2008.
"Political disagreement, lack of commitment and the level of debt,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
938, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ricardo Nunes & Davide Debortoli, 2011. "Political Disagreement, Lack of Commitment and the Level of Debt," 2011 Meeting Papers 127, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ricardo Nunes & Davide Debortoli, 2007. "Political Disagreement, Lack of Commitment and the Level of Debt," 2007 Meeting Papers 725, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Begona Dominguez Manzano, 2005. "Reputation in a Model with a Limited Debt Structure," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(3), pages 600-622, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.