Human Capital and Self-Enforcing Contracts
AbstractThis essay analyzes labor contracts as a device for rearranging factor incomes over time under conditions of extreme adverse selection; in particular, the lack of verifiable public information about future compensation prevents finitely-lived workers from borrowing against their earnings. Specific human capital is used as an incentive to implement intertemporal self-enforcing contracts between workers and firms. After proposing a necessary and sufficient condition for the existence of such contracts, the resulting equilibrium earnings profiles are explored along with the effects of imperfections in the credit market on the way workers choose jobs and allocate time between current production and training. Copyright 1988 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 90 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luigi Guiso & Luigi Pistaferri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2010.
"Credit within the Firm,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2010/16, European University Institute.
- Luigi Guiso & Luigi Pistaferri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2010. "Credit within the Firm," EIEF Working Papers Series 1008, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Apr 2010.
- Guiso, Luigi & Pistaferri, Luigi & Schivardi, Fabiano, 2010. "Credit within the Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 7793, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- L. Guiso & L. Pistaferri & F. Schivardi, 2010. "Credit within the firm," Working Paper CRENoS 201009, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Luigi Pistaferri & Luigi Guiso & Fabiano Schivardi, 2010. "Credit within the firm," NBER Working Papers 15924, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Luigi Pistaferri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2009. "Credit within the Firm," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-097, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.