Job Security, Work Incentives and Unemployment
AbstractThis paper analyzes how firms can use job security as an incentive mechanism. The author examines how "macroeconomic job security" (measured by the reemployment probability) may affect productivity differently from "microeconomic job security" (measured by the probability of being retained). The authors describe the circumstances under which job security stimulates work effort. Then incumbent workers ("insiders") may have an opportunity to raise their wages above the market-clearing level without being replaced by unemployed workers ("outsiders"). In this context, involuntary unemployment can arise. Copyright 1988 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 90 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Snower, Dennis J., 1999. "Inequality of Earnings," CEPR Discussion Papers 2321, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stéphane Pallage & Christian Zimmermann, 1999. "Assurance chômage et sociétés," Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM 9904, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Wolfgang Lechthaler & Christian Merkl & Dennis Snower, 2008.
"Monetary Persistence and the Labor Market: A New Perspective,"
Kiel Working Papers
1409, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Lechthaler, Wolfgang & Merkl, Christian & Snower, Dennis J., 2010. "Monetary persistence and the labor market: A new perspective," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 968-983, May.
- Wolfgang Lechthaler & Christian Merkl & Dennis Snower, 2010. "Monetary Persistence and the Labor Market: A New Perspective," CESifo Working Paper Series 2935, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lechthaler, Wolfgang & Merkl, Christian & Snower, Dennis J., 2010. "Monetary Persistence and the Labor Market: A New Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 7650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lechthaler, Wolfgang & Merkl, Christian & Snower, Dennis J., 2008. "Monetary Persistence and the Labor Market: A New Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 3513, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pallage, Stephane & Zimmermann, Christian, 2005. "Heterogeneous labor markets and generosity towards the unemployed: an international perspective," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 88-106, March.
- Muysken,Joan & Zwick,Thomas, 1996. "Insider power breeds human capitalists," Research Memoranda 017, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Snower, Dennis J., 1999.
"Causes of Changing Earnings Inequality,"
IZA Discussion Papers
29, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gerda Dewit & Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2003.
"Employment Protection and Globalisation in Dynamic Oligopoly,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
137, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Dewit, Gerda & Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2003. "Employment protection and globalisation in dynamic oligopoly," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 57, Royal Economic Society.
- Dewit, Gerda & Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 2003. "Employment Protection and Globalization in Dynamic Oligopoly," CEPR Discussion Papers 3871, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gerda Dewit & Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2003. "Employment protection and globalisation in dynamic oligopoly," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1200103, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Stephane Pallage & Christian Zimmermann, 1999. "Heterogeneous Labor Markets and the Generosity Towards the Unemployed: An International Perspective," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 88, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Bergin, Adele & Kelly, Elish & McGuinness, Seamus, 2012. "Explaining Changes in Earnings and Labour Costs During the Recession," Papers EC9, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.