Technology, Factor Proportions and Competitiveness
AbstractThis paper reports an attempt to explain changes in the industrial pattern of relative international competitiveness and specializ ation in the Swedish manufacturing industry during the period 1969-84 . The author evaluates the role of R&D expenditure in this process. R elative international competitiveness was found to improve in industr ies intensive in human as well as physical capital. The analysis conf irmed the "technology gap" hypothesis in that a high level of R&D e xpenditure, relative to competitors, improved the Swedish market posi tion; on the other hand, no indication was found of increased interna tional specialization on R&D-intensive products in Swedish industry. Copyright 1988 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 90 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Armando Garcia Pires, 2012. "International trade and competitiveness," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 727-763, August.
- Garcia Pires, Armando José, 2006. "International Trade with Competitiveness Effects in R&D," CEPR Discussion Papers 5547, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Imre Ferto & KÃ¡roly Attila SoÃ³s, 2012. "Controversial issues in factors determining intra-industry trade," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 132-148.
- Fors, Gunnar, 1996. "Utilization of R&D Results in the Home and Foreign Plants of Multinationals," Working Paper Series 459, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.