Unemployment Insurance and Union Wage Setting
AbstractThe authors examine alternative systems of financing unemployment insurance benefits in an economy with wage-sett ing unions, where, as in some Nordic countries, each union runs its o wn unemployment insurance system. It is shown that a higher lump-sum grant to the union's unemployment insurance fund increases employment , whereas higher marginal subsidies have ambiguous effects. An unempl oyment insurance tax on wages has no effect on employment, whereas an unemployment insurance tax on profits unambiguously increases employ ment. The authors also analyze a case where wages are set at the firm level and premiums at the industry level. Copyright 1988 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 90 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Holmlund, Bertil & Lundborg, Per, 1996.
"Wage Bargaining, Union Membership, and the Organization of Unemployment Insurance,"
Working Paper Series
1996:17, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Holmlund, Bertil & Lundborg, Per, 1999. "Wage bargaining, union membership, and the organization of unemployment insurance," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 397-415, September.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Madsen, Jakob B., 2003. "Earnings-related unemployment benefits and unemployment," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 41-62, March.
- Eric Levin & Thomas Moutos, 1991. "Unemployment insurance and union bargaining — an insider-outsider approach," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 271-284, October.
- Burda, Michael C., 1997. "Corporatism, labor unions and the safety net," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 635-646, April.
- Julia Fath & Clemens Fuest, 2005. "Experience Rating of Unemployment Insurance in the US: A Model for Europe?," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 3(2), pages 45-50, 07.
- Calmfors, Lars, 1995. "Labour market policy and unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 583-592, April.
- Sven Wehke, 2007.
"Union Wages, Hours of Work and the Effectiveness of Partial Coordination Agreements,"
FEMM Working Papers
07019, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Wehke, Sven, 2009. "Union wages, hours of work and the effectiveness of partial coordination agreements," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 89-96, January.
- Dittrich, Marcus, 2006. "Welfare Effects of Union Bargaining Centralisation in a Two-Sector Economy," MPRA Paper 11, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2006.
- Pekka Sinko, 2003. "Subsidizing vs. Experience Rating of Unemployment Insurance in Unionized Labor Markets," Discussion Papers 319, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Agell, Jonas, 2003. "Efficiency and Equality in the Labour Market," Research Papers in Economics 2003:11, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Anders Forslund & Alan B. Krueger, 2008.
"Did Active Labour Market Policies Help Sweden Rebound from the Depression of the Early 1990s?,"
1035, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Anders Forslund & Alan Krueger, 2010. "Did Active Labor Market Policies Help Sweden Rebound from the Depression of the Early 1990s?," NBER Chapters, in: Reforming the Welfare State: Recovery and Beyond in Sweden, pages 159-187 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Madsen, Jakob B., 2003. "Earnings-Related Unemployment Benefits in a Unionised Economy," IZA Discussion Papers 701, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.