Inflow Uncertainty in Hydropower Markets
AbstractWe analyse the effects of uncertainty on market performance in hydropower systems under alternative assumptions about market structure. Uncertainty creates distinct possibilities for exercising market power that cannot be captured in deterministic models. The qualitative and quantitative features of these possibilities depend on the characteristics of residual demand facing individual firms, which again depends on consumer preferences and generation and transmission technologies. Copyright � The editors of the "Scandinavian Journal of Economics" 2009 .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 111 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
Other versions of this item:
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loury, Glenn C, 1978.
"The Optimal Exploitation of an Unknown Reserve,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 621-36, October.
- Green, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992.
"Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 929-53, October.
- Green, Richard & Newbery, David M G, 1991. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Von der Fehr, N.H.M. & Harbord, D., 1992.
"Spot Market Competition in the UK Electricity Industry,"
09/1992, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik Morch & Harbord, David, 1993. "Spot Market Competition in the UK Electricity Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(418), pages 531-46, May.
- Crampes, C. & Moreaux, M., 2001.
"Water resource and power generation,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 975-997, May.
- Crampes, Claude & Moreaux, Michel, 2001. "Water Resource and Power Generation," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1980. "Uncertainty and Exhaustible Resource Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(6), pages 1203-25, December.
- Bushnell, James & Wolfram, Catherine, 2008. "Electricity Markets," Staff General Research Papers 31547, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cairns, Robert D, 1990. " The Economics of Exploration for Non-renewable Resources," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(4), pages 361-95.
- Cardell, Judith B. & Hitt, Carrie Cullen & Hogan, William W., 1997. "Market power and strategic interaction in electricity networks," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 109-137, March.
- Bjerkholt, Olav & Olsen, Oystein, 1984. "Uncertainty in hydroelectric power supply," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 159-166, July.
- Garcia, Alfredo & Reitzes, James D & Stacchetti, Ennio, 2001. "Strategic Pricing when Electricity is Storable," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 223-47, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.