Risk Preferences, Production Risk and Firm Heterogeneity
AbstractA new technique is proposed for deriving the risk preference function under production risk and expected utility of profit maximization. The derivation depends on neither a specific parametric form of the utility function nor any distribution of the error term representing production risk. The proposed risk preference function is flexible enough to test different types of risk behavior and symmetry of the output distribution. Furthermore, our production risk specification allows for inputs with positive and negative marginal risk. The econometric model accommodates production risk, risk preferences and firm heterogeneity "simultaneously". Norwegian salmon farming data are used as an application. Copyright The editors of the "Scandinavian Journal of Economics", 2003 .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal The Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 105 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Krishna, Vijesh V. & Zilberman, David & Qaim, Matin, 2009. "Transgenic technology adoption and on-farm varietal diversity," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51750, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tveteras, Ragnar & Flaten, Ola & Lien, Gudbrand D., 2008. "Production risk in multi-output industries: estimates from Norwegian dairy farms," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43958, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Liu, Yucan & Shumway, C. Richard, 2005. "Indirect Utility Maximization under Risk: A Heterogeneous Panel Application," 2005 Annual Meeting, July 6-8, 2005, San Francisco, California 36307, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Xavier Vollenweider & Salvatore Di Falco & Cathal O’Donoghue, 2011.
"Risk preferences and voluntary agrienvironmental schemes: does risk aversion explain the uptake of the Rural Environment Protection Scheme?,"
Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers
48, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Vollenweider, Xavier & Di Falco, Salvatore & O'Donoghue, Cathal, 2011. "Risk Preferences and Voluntary Agri-environmental Schemes: Does Risk Aversion Explain the Uptake of the Rural Environment Protection Scheme?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115552, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Agabriel, Jacques & Lherm, Michel & Mosnier, Claire & Reynaud, Arnaud & Thomas, Alban, 2009.
"Estimating a Production Function under Production and Output Price Risks: An Application to Beef Cattle in France,"
TSE Working Papers
09-046, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Claire Mosnier & Arnaud Reynaud & Alban Thomas & Michel Lherm & Jacques Agabriel, 2009. "Estimating a production function under production and output price risks: An application to beef cattle in France," LERNA Working Papers 09.10.286, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Larsen, Thomas A. & Asche, Frank, 2011. "Contracts in the Salmon Aquaculture Industry: An Analysis of Norwegian Salmon Exports," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 26(2).
- Ogundari, Kolawole & Akinbogun, Olajide O., 2010. "Modeling Technical Efficiency with Production Risk: A Study of Fish Farms in Nigeria," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 25(3).
- Oglend, Atle & Sikveland, Marius, 2008. "The Behaviour of Salmon Price Volatility," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 23(4).
- Koundouri, Phoebe & Laukkanen, Marita, 2004.
"Stochastic Production in a Regulated Fishery:The Importance of Risk Considerations,"
41912, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Marita Laukkanen, . "Stochastic Production in a Regulated Fishery:The Importance of Risk Considerations," DEOS Working Papers 0403, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- repec:ags:mareec:133340 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:133346 is not listed on IDEAS
- Krishna, Vijesh V. & Zilberman, David & Qaim, Matin, 2009. "GM Technology Adoption, Production Risk and On-farm Varietal Diversity," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49173, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- repec:ags:mareec:133325 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.