Time Inconsistency and the Exchange Rate Channel of Monetary Policy
AbstractThis paper analyses time-inconsistency problems related to the exchange rate channel of monetary policy. Within a simple open-economy macroeconomic model, where the exchange rate is the only forward-looking variable, we show that a difference emerges between optimal policy under discretion and under commitment. Moreover, the nature of the time-inconsistency problem resembles that resulting from standard New Keynesian models: when cost-push shocks occur, the exchange rate channel gives rise to excessive output stabilisation and insufficient inertia in monetary policy under a discretionary policy. Copyright 2002 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 104 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfred V. Guender, 2002.
"On discretion versus commitment and the role of the direct exchange rate channel in a forward-looking open economy model,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
2002-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Alfred Guender, 2005. "On discretion versus commitment and the role of the direct exchange rate channel in a forward-looking open economy model," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 355-377.
- MOONS, Cindy & GARRETSEN, Harry & VAN AARLE, Bas & FORNERO, Jorge, 2007.
"Monetary policy in the new-Keynesian model: An application to the Euro-Area,"
2007014, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Moons, Cindy & Garretsen, Harry & van Aarle, Bas & Fornero, Jorge, 2007. "Monetary policy in the New-Keynesian model: An application to the Euro Area," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 879-902.
- Bas Aarle & Harry Garretsen & Cindy Moons, 2008. "Accession to the euro-area: a stylized analysis using a NK model," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-24, July.
- Jose A. Lopez & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "Financial structure and macroeconomic performance over the short and long run," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 2002-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Caglayan, Mustafa & Jehan, Zainab & Mouratidis, Kostas, 2012. "Asymmetric monetary policy rules for open economies: Evidence from four countries," MPRA Paper 37401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Paul Lam, 2003.
"Alternative Targeting Regimes, Transmission lags and the Exchange rate Channel,"
0309005, EconWPA, revised 04 Sep 2003.
- Jean-Paul Lam, 2003. "Alternative Targeting Regimes, Transmission Lags, and the Exchange Rate Channel," Working Papers 03-39, Bank of Canada.
- VAN AARLE, Bas & GARRETSEN, Harry & MOONS, Cindy, 2007. "Accession to the Euro-area: A stylized analysis using a NK model," Working Papers 2007015, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2006.
"Should central banks react to exchange rate movements? An analysis of the robustness of simple policy rules under exchange rate uncertainty,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19716, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Wollmershauser, Timo, 2006. "Should central banks react to exchange rate movements? An analysis of the robustness of simple policy rules under exchange rate uncertainty," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 493-519, September.
- Kai Leitemo & �istein R�island & Ragnar Torvik, 2005. "Monetary policy rules and the exchange rate channel," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(16), pages 1165-1170.
- Bas van Aarle & Harry Garretsen & Florence Huart, 2003. "Transatlantic Monetary and Fiscal Policy Interaction," CESifo Working Paper Series 1042, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.